Home Business Refridgerator

Business By lsienna Updated 31 May 2008 , 12:12am by ladyonzlake

lsienna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsienna Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:20am
post #1 of 7

I have heard a few home decorators have only an extra every day fridge for their business. I guess it is needed to cool the cakes before the crumb coats and before the build, but what about other than that - excluding perishiable fillings or icings with eggs, cream, butter, jellies etc?

I have been looking at refridgerators and they seem quite small to put any more than one tiered cake plus any supplies that need refridgeration. Does these work for most you out there? I am hope to be making mostly 3d cakes mostly, but also some tiered cakes and I am not sure a regular fridge would do the trick, especially if you have more than one cake built cake to refridgerate. what do all of you use and do you find it tough when you have more than one cake to keep cold?
I am reading that RI and buttercream cakes made without butter do not need to be refridgerated nor does fondant covered cakes although I am not exactly sure on this. I heard to refridgerate fondant built cakes create moisture which ruins the look of fondant, even if it is brought out and brought to room temperature before delivery? I am just starting out and hope to start with little money so anything more than a used everyday fridge I am thinking will be expensive and would need room which I just do not have alot of here.
Any clarification would be great. Thank you.

Laurie

6 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:27am
post #2 of 7

I found a great fridge at Sears, about $300 and some, don't' remember exactly. it is all frige, no freezer and it can hold a full sheet in depth and width. I can put a couple of tiered cakes and a couple of sculpted all in there at once. there are door slots for fillings and such but , I took all mine out for more room, I even put a 22" board with 5- 6' cakes in a circle and they fit!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 7

I bought this freezer last week at Best Buy ($535.00).

I have a full time job and I donât have much time to bake prior the events so having a freezer is a must for me; I bought it mostly for wedding cakes; I can bake at the beginning of the week-wrap in Saran, bag and freeze and then decorate on Fridays for a Saturday weddings.
LL
LL

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 7

my fridge is like this..... I just take of the shelves out to fit taller cakes in

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 7

I know Sears in Canada, has a fridge that is much like that freezer, it is all fridge, I hope to be getting that when I have the $ and the time to do the cakes that I want to do.

lsienna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsienna Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 7

thank you all for the advice. That fridge from Sears seems great and I would imagine you can get it in the US as well.

Thank you all.
Lsienna

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:12am
post #7 of 7

I bought my frig. at Sears for around $350. It has the freezer on the top and the frig. on the bottom. I like the wire shelves better than the glass ones...I can move my cakes around by placing my fingers between the wires underneath.

I buy butter on sale so I always have some frozen in the freezer compartment as well as any leftover BC and left over cakes (for tastings). I also have frozen puree's in the freezer.

So far I haven't had more than one large cake at a time so this has worked well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%