Easiest Way To Create Intricate Characters/ People On Cakes

Decorating By Katied75 Updated 6 May 2008 , 4:34pm by MikeRowesHunny

Katied75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katied75 Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:23am
post #1 of 8

What is the easiest way?

I know you can use color flow, but my Wilton instructor tonight said that is better for less intricate designs. If I wanted to do do a character with many different colors, or even just tinkerbelle or a characiture of a person, what is the best way to do it (outside of airbrushing which I can't yet do)?

If you have any cakes to show me, so much the better.

Thanks!

Katie

7 replies
Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:14am
post #2 of 8

Chocolate transfers are perfect for this type of thing. Here's an example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kavingate/436603549/in/set-72157594281290241/

I have a tutorial on my Flickr site here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kavingate/sets/72157600064171751/

I believe that there's a tutorial or two here on CC. If you do a search for "chocolate transfer", you should be able to find something. Feel free to PM me, if I can be of any help.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:33am
post #3 of 8

Thanks kavingate, your cakes are beautiful!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:57am
post #4 of 8

thanks kavingate. that was a fairly easy to understand tutorial. lovely cakes!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 8

kavingate, thanks! So you use all chocolate for the designs? It is possible to do the outline in chocolate and do the color in either colorflow or royal icing?

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 8

Glad to be useful! Thanks for your kind comments about my cakes, too! icon_smile.gif

@Bellatheball- I've never tried combining the two, but I suppose you could give it a shot, though I'm pretty sure that the royal or color flow would be unhappy with the contact with the chocolate, and would dissolve because of the oil.

clopin0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clopin0 Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 8

I've used colorflow for more intricate designs and haven't had a problem yet. The pirate Mickey Mouse was my first color flow piece and, in my opinion, I think he came out pretty well. I think Tink would be even easier.
LL

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 8

I second the chocolate transfers, I use them on nearly all the kids cakes I do, feel free to look in my photos for examples! The key to intricate designs is to use a very fine outline using slightly seized chocolate, or it will spread into a too thick a line. I have a whole set of photos to send to Heath to put up a fully explained tutorial, but have yet to do it - sorry! I promise I will soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%