How Long Do I Need To Let It Dry?

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 6 May 2008 , 5:23pm by Amia

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:48am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a bender cake for my husband's birthday on Saturday. I need to make his eyes (they protrude a bit), mouth and antennea out of gumpaste. I have two concerns. It has gotten a little humid here in the piedmont area of NC, so how many days ahead do you think I need to make these in order for them to be dry by Saturday? Should I make them NOW? And second, how on earth am I going to attach the eye area? Should I form the eye balls themselves around dowels? But then how to I get the area around the eyes? See pic below to understand what I mean.
LL

5 replies
Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:08am
post #2 of 6

I would make them as soon as possible, just in case! I've also heard that you can dry in your oven, but I don't know how/why so maybe someone else can tell us both! As for attaching the eyes, I don't know what to suggest because I'm not sure exactly how you're assembling the cake. You should use Aine's edible glue whenever you need to attach something, though. It works great!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:08am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

I'm making a bender cake for my husband's birthday on Saturday. I need to make his eyes (they protrude a bit), mouth and antennea out of gumpaste. I have two concerns. It has gotten a little humid here in the piedmont area of NC, so how many days ahead do you think I need to make these in order for them to be dry by Saturday? Should I make them NOW? And second, how on earth am I going to attach the eye area? Should I form the eye balls themselves around dowels? But then how to I get the area around the eyes? See pic below to understand what I mean.

I need more information on what you are planning on make the head with. Will it be cake or are you using Rice Krispies Treats?

If you are using cake you can mold the eyes on to the cake. Use dowels/ sturdy straws to secure them to the head. Cover with buttercream then Fondant. Cover the eye portion in white. Then cover the entire head in grey. Use an exacto knife to carefully cut out the eye area. Then paint in the black portions (or fill in with black fondant).

Or use Rice Krispies Treats to create the entire head.

The treats don't take that long to set up.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:25am
post #4 of 6

OH... wait.. I think I see what you mean.. you're saying instead of making individual eye "balls" i should shape them that flattened oval shape, cover in white, then after covered in gray i would just cut out the front area to expose the white.. i think i get it... took me a minute to re-read what you said, but i think i understand... i think RKT is the way i'm gonna go with the head.

now here's a stupid question -- or maybe not -- i've made RKT before, but never to mold as a portion of a cake... do i mix them up and while they are still warm and soft start molding what i need to mold? or do i need to let them sit and cool for a few minutes?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

OH... wait.. I think I see what you mean.. you're saying instead of making individual eye "balls" i should shape them that flattened oval shape, cover in white, then after covered in gray i would just cut out the front area to expose the white.. i think i get it... took me a minute to re-read what you said, but i think i understand... i think RKT is the way i'm gonna go with the head.

now here's a stupid question -- or maybe not -- i've made RKT before, but never to mold as a portion of a cake... do i mix them up and while they are still warm and soft start molding what i need to mold? or do i need to let them sit and cool for a few minutes?

Mold the head while the treats are still warm and pliable. Rub a little shortening on your hands so they don't stick to your hands.

Once you figured out the dimensions, roll out the head from the treats and then build the eyes on. Place a dowel in the center so you can poke it into the cake.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 6

If you don't want to make your own, Kellogg's makes a sheet of RKT. I saw it at Sam's. Their's are usually always pliable, so it might make things a little easier. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%