What Would You Do?

Decorating By Mom_Of_4 Updated 6 May 2008 , 12:42am by nicksmom

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there fellow cake decorators! I got a call from an old high school teacher of mine today and she was wondering if I could make her anniversary cake. She needs it on May 18th and it needs to feed 200 people. I have never made a cake to feed so many before. So my question for you guys is, should I do it and if I do how much should I charge her? She just wants white cakes and she said they can even be sheet cakes. What I thought about doing if I do it is to make one stacked cake to display and the rest as sheet cakes. She just wants white buttercream, just plain and simple. What would you all do? Also how many 11x13 cakes would I need to make?

6 replies
michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 7

i'm in a same sort of dilema...a wedding cake (fairly simple) to feed 200 people, but it's not the quote i'm worried about it's the logistics of actually baking it (and i'd like to know too how many 11x13 it'd take for your cake too) i look forward to reading the replies...sorry i can't be much help

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 7

It depends on what you want to do. You could make three double layer (4" tall) 11x15 sheets and that would be 225 servings. If you want to do a centerpiece cake and kitchen cakes your options are endless. You could do an 8-10-12 for 100 servings and two 11x15 double layer sheets..

If you really want to do it and you feel you can pull it off go for it. icon_smile.gif What will you be charging her?

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 7

Well, an 11 x 13 feeds about 25. So 8 of those. May I suggest a larger pan??? 12 x 18 perhaps???
I just did a wedding cake that was dummy cake for the bottom 2 tiers and a yummy top tier for them to cut and eat, and sheet cakes for the rest of the servings. Beautiful and simple, but still a lot of work.

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 7

I like the idea of one fancier stacked cake for display, and sheet cakes for cutting and serving. The last time I made a very decorated sheet cake, no one wanted to cut it becuase they thought it was to pretty! So the sheet cakes to serve from allows everyone to look and eat! The top tier could be kept for the couple to freeze and save!

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:21am
post #6 of 7

That is another question I would have. How much would you charge. I was thinking about doing a 10, 8, and 6 stacked cake. Then doing sheet cakes for the rest. I was thinking $2.00 a slice, so about $400.00 is that way over what I should charge though for such a simple cake? My sons preschool graduation is the friday before, so I don't know if I am going to do it or not, but I am just trying to plan this all out in my head to see if it is worth the trouble and if I can do it with out getting too stressed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:42am
post #7 of 7

weel I like the idea of the stacked cake and then the sheets for serving,seeing that it's an anniversary and for 200 people it's probably a good milestone anniversary and the stacks would be great.let us know what you decide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%