Leveling

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 7 May 2008 , 2:44pm by lardbutt

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 16

Please help me with the art of leveling. Mine always is lopsided. Suggestions needed and appreciated icon_smile.gif

15 replies
shapeacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shapeacake Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:11am
post #2 of 16

The easiest way that I've found to level a cake is to overfill the pan just a little, so that the sides of the cake come up almost to the top of the pan after baking. Then I rest my knife along the sides of the pan as I cut the cake. If the pan is small or your knife is long, you can just cut the cake in one direction. Otherwise, cut a little bit into the cake and rotate the pan. Hope that makes sense!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:12am
post #3 of 16

Wilton cake making & decorating help links:
(Everything from making the cake layers to decorating with either b/c or fondant.)

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/index.cfm

Two methods are illustrated (using a serrated knife or the Wilton cake leveler):

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/leveling.cfm

HTH

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:42am
post #4 of 16

I agree with shapeacake. I do the same thing.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:47am
post #5 of 16

I use wooden dowels. If I need it at 2" I use the 2" dowels and place alongside the cake on each side and take my knife over them. Ihave them at different heights. I tried the Wilton's leveler (large) and it is horrible. The dowels work until I can afford an agbay.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:00am
post #6 of 16

I level in the pan also! Works great! I also have the little $2 Wilton leveler. It's not great, but it does the job.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:37am
post #7 of 16

I invested in an Agbay leveller and it was worth every cent!!

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:58am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeacake

The easiest way that I've found to level a cake is to overfill the pan just a little, so that the sides of the cake come up almost to the top of the pan after baking.

I agree with shapeacake, I do it that way too.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:29am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

I looked at those Agbay's and boy do they look awesome! Do you have the double or single?

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:46am
post #10 of 16

janebrophy, I bought the double. You can use it as a single if you want. I also bought the styrofoam knife and the cleaner. And you can't ask for better/nicer customer service.

I love it and use it on every cake.

His_snowflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
His_snowflake Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #11 of 16

I like the method of using the cake pan, but if I want to level a cake at a height other than the top of the pan (or if I wanted to torte a cake), I use Wilton's large cake leveler. http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D68E-475A-BAC0-541667EE11BAE82B

It works great! I have had no problems with it.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 16

If you have a steady hand, a sharp serated knife, and a turntable, you can use the way I do them...

Put your cake on a board on the turntable, and hold your knife evenly. Turn the turntable and allow the knife to score around the cake where you want it either leveled or torted. Keep turning the turntable and just add a little more pressure to the knife - it will trim right through icon_smile.gif

I learned this method in a culinary course, and it's really easy for me now.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 16

I never understood advice that I had seen about leveling because I WAS a scratch baker. My cakes just did not rise enough to come above the pan.

Then I decided to ry the WASC because so many rave about it. IT WAS GREAT. You can overfill the pan and it rises perfectly. I trim right in the pan while it is still hot with a knife. It comes out perfectly even and beautiful.

My mother NEVER used a mix when I was growing up, so I am sort of a cake snob. I personally perfer the taste of my scratch cake still. But let me tell you I made the WASC for a wedding and I can't tell you how many people told me it was the best cake they had ever tasted! AND EVERYONE ASSUMED IT WAS SCRATH!

Now as far as torting.........I can't help you there, but I sure want an Agbay!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

Ditto!!

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #15 of 16

Sorry if Im being dumb but what is wasc? icon_redface.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandecake

Sorry if Im being dumb but what is wasc? icon_redface.gif

White Almond Sour Cream Cake.......It starts with a box mix, but adds more to it. It is great! I call it my no fail cake. I have not had to rebake anything since using it. Here is a link to the one like.
http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%