Painting Details On Gumpaste Or Fondant Figures

Decorating By Betsy1102 Updated 5 May 2008 , 6:39pm by LanaC

Betsy1102 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Betsy1102 Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 7

What's the best way to paint on gumpaste or fondant? I've tried just using food color, but it didn't work. Should I mix it with something? Thanks for any help you can offer!

6 replies
sweetmandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmandie Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 7

I normally mix a few drops of clear vanilla extract with the gel food paste. It works well, but only gives you the true color on white backgrounds. For colored backgrounds such as yellows and blues I use the cookie writers wilton makes. Hope this helps.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 7

I use vodka. I put a small amount of vodka in a bowl, and then work it much like I would water colors.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 7

I mix the food color gels with vodka or everclear. It dries completely to the touch and looks great.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 7

That is what I do, too. I dip my brush in vodka and then in the gel coloring....make sure your fondant/gumpaste piece is completely dry first!! Otherwise the moisture in the piece can cause your paint to bead up.

laurynrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurynrn Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 7

I have tried using the gels with vodka but it never seemed to dry? Then, I used airbrush color which worked really well. I also use the edible pens from Wilton.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 7

The only time I've had a difficult time getting a color to dry was when I was doing black and I wanted really really really good coverage on a cape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%