What To Expect From A Photo Image?

Decorating By JudyDP Updated 5 May 2008 , 8:52am by veejaytx

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:58am
post #1 of 5

I bought an Epson 7400 Photo Printer to use for cake decorating only. I bought the ink and icing sheets from KopyKake. Possibly, I am expecting too much. The photos that I have printed are not the true colors and clarity of the original image. Example: Childs eyes are real blue, but in the photo image they are dark...not really blue. On the KopyKake website the images look so vibrant, like a real photo. I talked to KopyKake and my printer is set correctly. I talked to Epson (without telling them I was using icing colors) and they actually sent me a replacement printer! They said that obviously something was wrong with my printer and sent me another one. I told them that they didn't have to do that, but Epson acutally insisted! I haven't taken my cartridges out and put them in the new printer to see if it is any different, because I really don't think anything is wrong with the printer. Could anyone please respond and tell me if the images are suppose to look clear/crisp/ and true to color. Any responses will be greatly appreciated! Also, should I buy another brand (Canon) printer? I won't use it that often because it is just a hobby for me not a business, but I want my images to be as good as possible. Thanks ahead of time!

4 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:09am
post #2 of 5

i have had two canons and they both died on me after the warranty expired. i now have an epson cx3810 and i love it. i had that same dilemma about the colors. i don't think there's anything wrong with your printer. my printer is the same way. i don't know why the colors come out the way they do, but it's not the printer. icon_wink.gif

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:18am
post #3 of 5

Diane, Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate the input on Canon. I guess that I am wanting too much from an icing image. It's just that they make them look so nice on the sites where you buy the supplies icon_lol.gif I've alway considered Epson an "off" brand....always buying HP products, but Epson could NOT have been any nicer! Once again, Thank You....

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:29am
post #4 of 5

Great post!!!! I just oredered an Epson 8400 today as well as the cartridges from Kopykake and was wondering if the images would be as nice as the ones on the site. My questions have been answered. Thanks!!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 May 2008 , 8:52am
post #5 of 5

Have you tried printing your photo on a different printer with regular inks just to compare the colors? The printer can only print what it "sees" so maybe the image is coming from your computer too dark. Is that making any sense?

A couple of years ago I was making candy bar wrappers and finally had to go through and print a sheet showing each of the colors from the computer for me to be able to tell for sure what color would print on paper, they never were the same as what was showing on the screen. Just a thought that might be part of what is happening now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%