Stencils

Decorating By GipsyGourmet Updated 5 May 2008 , 2:09pm by GipsyGourmet

GipsyGourmet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GipsyGourmet Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:47am
post #1 of 4

I recently purchased cake stencils for the top of cakes and for the sides. Thus far I've not had any trouble with the cake stencils for the top of the cake; however, the sides are a different story. I'm making a buttercream wedding cake and the cake has a lot of scroll work on the side, my freehanding is definitely in it's begginer stages, so I've opted to stencil the side; however, it is proving to be more difficult than expected, does anyone have a trick to successful stenciling on the sides of cakes when the cake itself has buttercream icing and the icing used for the stenciling is also buttercream? Thanks. icon_confused.gif

3 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:32am
post #2 of 4

When I stencil the sides, I wait until it has crusted really good, or put it in the fridge for a bit to harden. Lightly coat the stencil with crisco and it will help the stencil stick to the side. You'll still have to hold it but it won't move as easily.
Hope this helps

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 4

I always found using regular stencils, instead of "cake stencils" to be easier. They are smaller width wise which always helps for the side of the cake! Also you could just lightly put some coloring on the cake with the stencil then pipe over.....so it looks like your free hand is perfect! icon_razz.gif

GipsyGourmet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GipsyGourmet Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for this tip, I did wait for my cake to form a crust; however, I did not use the Crisco, that sounds like it will work perfectly! Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%