What's Your Fav Cake Flavor/filling For Summer Season?

Decorating By anku Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm by JulieB

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:07am
post #31 of 58

No problem.. it's REALLY easy.. a compote is just fruit (fresh or dried) in a sugar syrup.

Blueberry Compote

1 pint of fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
2 TBSP honey
1 lemon

Place the berries, sugar, and honey in a sauce pan and simmer until the berries start to pop. Meanwhile zest the lemon and then juice it and set aside. When the berries have broken and the juices have thickened slightly the compote is done and you can remove from the heat and add the lemon zest and juice. This is good on pancakes, ice cream, body parts.. you name it.. icon_wink.gif

If you want to use it in a cake.. simply add 3 or so TBSP of corn starch to the lemon juice and to the pan at the end and bring to a boil for a couple minutes and then remove from the heat and add the zest and chill for at least an hour or more.

Lemon Curd

1/4 c lemon juice
2 TBSP lemon zest
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 TBSP cold butter

in a heatproof bowl mix yolks and sugar until pale and slightly thickened (about 5 minutes). Add lemon juice and lemon zest and place bowl over a double boiler and whisk until thickened (about 10-12 minutes). Remove from heat and whisk in cold butter and chill for a few hours.

Lemon Cream

1 recipe lemon curd
1 c cold heavy cream

beat the whipped cream to stiff peaks and fold into cold lemon curd and chill for an hour.

Lavender Simple Syrup

3/4 c water
1/2 cup sugar
4 TBSP dried lavener flowers (make sure they are food grade)
2 TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice

Bring sugar and water to a boil in a sauce pan until sugar is disolved and liquid is clear. Remove from heat and add lavender and steep for 30 minutes. Strain syrup and add lemon juice and let cool.

Enjoy!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:15am
post #32 of 58

I love Dubs Orange Dreamcyle cake from here on CC.... I make a pineapple filling and the combination is to die for.

I recently did a wedding cake where the "sheet cake" in the back was the the orange cake and the mother of the bride said that everyone raved about it and ther was absolutely nothing left.

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:20am
post #33 of 58

WOW! Great ideas!!! I can't wait to try some of these! I don't know if it is a very summery flavor per say, but my favorite is WASC cake with chocolate covered strawberry filling. It is by FAR my most requested flavor.

I actually have 2 ways of making this. One is really simple and the other just takes a few more minutes. The easy way is actually just to melt some semi-sweet chocolate chips and layer fresh sliced strawberries on top. Sometimes I think I actually like this way better because when you bite into the cake, the chocolate crunches just like an actual chocolate covered strawberry would.

The other way is just to make a chocolate fudge filling and use fresh sliced strawberries. This way the chocolate is soft, and it is more of the flavor of the C.C.S. then the texture!

pinkbox Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:21am
post #34 of 58

Jeanne you are heaven sent.

My DH loves blueberries and I have everything on hand... will have to give it a try tmw and see how he likes it.

I've been dying to try something with blueberries other than pancakes and muffins icon_smile.gif haha

The lavender simple syrup... what kind of flavor does it leave? I've never made anything with lavender before but it sounds interesting.
(As does all your cakes and combinations... Im in awe of you haha)

Thanks for sharing

Kim

pinkbox Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:25am
post #35 of 58

[quote="brea1026"]WASC cake with chocolate covered strawberry filling. quote]

That sounds absolutely divine!! I will have to give that one a try too.... so many delicious recipes so little time arghh!!!!

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:45am
post #36 of 58

Ok I want to me banana cake but very confused about the filling. I want it to be fruity. What will go best? I was thinking strawberry cream...any other ideas would be great help!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:26am
post #37 of 58

If you really like bananas you can do a filling of fresh banana with whipped cream or use the banana icing here on CC, it's really, really good! icon_lol.gif and go bananas with it!!!!

FromScratch Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:08pm
post #38 of 58

THe lavender isn't strong and it gives a lightly floral/earthy flavor.. you can defintitely do without it if you want. It's a great flavor.. everyone at my DH's worked loved it.. but not necessary.

Thank you for your kind words about about my cakes. icon_smile.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:13pm
post #39 of 58

I've been trying to think of a nice way to makw strawberry lemonade flavor. I'll try this one, even though I'm not really a fan of the WASC. I'm sure it tastes totally different! Thanks!

FromScratch Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:29pm
post #40 of 58

You can make any cake into a strawberry lemon cake really.. just sub some lemon juice for the water and add a swirl of thickened strawberry puree. icon_smile.gif I have been wanting to try a strawberry lemon blend for a while and I just might have to now.. sounds so good. icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:52pm
post #41 of 58

What about tofu strawberry cake Jeanne? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

FromScratch Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #42 of 58

Oooooh!! You know Christi.. that sounds just about as good as an oreo filling cake.. icon_razz.gif

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:37pm
post #43 of 58

LMAO butthead!!!

FromScratch Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #44 of 58

Love ya!! icon_wink.gif

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:44pm
post #45 of 58

back atcha icon_wink.gif

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:51pm
post #46 of 58

I don't know if anyone's said this yet, but KEY LIME! Refreshing!

I also like the citrus and berry combos.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:07pm
post #47 of 58

I made the strawberry lemonade cake over the weekend and I'm telling you that I got AMAZING reviews on it!!! Everyone LOVED it!!! I think I'm just such a chicken to think outside of the box where baking is concerned.... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Now the decorating part..... icon_lol.gif for some reason my imagination has no boundaries where this is concerned!!! LOL!!! icon_lol.gif Actually alot of times I think I can do much more than I actually can!!! icon_rolleyes.gif It has definitely helped me to grow in THAT area though!!! You all are definitely inspiring me though!!!! Keep em coming!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:13pm
post #48 of 58

Since you mentioned blueberry, there is a "Blueberry Cobbler" non-dairy creamer from Coffeemate that is delicious. You could use that in Sugarshack's BC recipe. It really does taste like blueberry cobbler...but creamy!

Michelle104 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #49 of 58

Yum! I knew they had that, I've used it in my coffee before! I just tried the vanilla caramel and did my reg bc recipe but substituted the VC for the 1/2 c of water. Soooo yummmyyy!!! icon_razz.gif Everyone loved this! I wonder how the blueberry cobbler would taste on the wasc? What do you think?? icon_confused.gif

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #50 of 58

You know when people started using the flavored creamers in their bc and their cake mixes I used to do that.... but MORE than once the sugar in the International delights creamer ruined cake AND icing icon_sad.gif ... not taste wise.. but there is corn syrup in some of the refridgerated coffee creamers... and can change the texture of cakes.. and make icing WAY to sweet ..

So I kinda am leary (for good reason.. been burnt so many times LOL) of them. icon_sad.gif

But some do work... like the coffeemate reg. I use that like Sugar Shack does

Michelle104 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #51 of 58

Powdered coffeemate reg? Could you use a little salt to counteract the extra sweetness? Like 1/4 tsp or something???

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm
post #52 of 58

icon_smile.gif

I just use the coffeemate reg. powdered mixed in with water (1:1 ratio)

Hot when I'm mixing my icing... but nothing in my cake... I tried using the white chocolate raspberry in a cake before and thought it was sooo gummy.... found out it was the extra sugar in the creamer (it was refridgerated)

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Yum! I knew they had that, I've used it in my coffee before! I just tried the vanilla caramel and did my reg bc recipe but substituted the VC for the 1/2 c of water. Soooo yummmyyy!!! icon_razz.gif Everyone loved this! I wonder how the blueberry cobbler would taste on the wasc? What do you think?? icon_confused.gif

ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!!! icon_twisted.gif I was thinking of trying it in the next week or so...I'll let you know how it goes over.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

I just "invented" a new flavor I like to call strawberry lemonade. I use the WASC recipe and sub 1/2 cup of the water for fresh lemon juice, add some lemon zest and sub all of the extracts for lemon extract. Then I swirl in some sweetened strawberry puree. I filled it with strawberry cream cheese filling and iced in lemon SMBC. YUMMY! I made it for a shower at work and two people who had already placed orders with me for the future, changed their original flavor to this one.

that's exactly what i was going to suggest! icon_wink.gif

also...creamsicle...orange and vanilla. thumbs_up.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm
post #55 of 58

i've been making lemon cupcakes filled with strawberry puree and frosting them with lemon swiss meringue buttercream.

i use the yellow cake recipe by toba garrett ( on epicurious.com ) and add lemon juice, extract and zest. for the strawberries, i puree them in the blender and thicken them on the stove with lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch and inject it into the middle. then for the lemon smbc, i just add extract and lemon juice , its delicious and refreshing. lemon is also nice with raspberry or mango/peach.

for banana cake, (someone on the previous page asked) i'd pair it with mixed berry smbc or even a chocolate cinnamon smbc

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:52pm
post #56 of 58

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-901-Whipped-Cream-Frosting.html this frosting is also VERY delicious with any fruit cakes/fillings. very light and summer-y.

pinkbox Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:35am
post #57 of 58

Tofu... now I know you girls are pushing it!!!

Haha LMAO too

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm
post #58 of 58

I love lemon and orange cake for summer, but my new favorite is French Vanilla.

I love to play with icings, I just made buttercream yesterday and used lime in it, man, was it good. I also like to add lemon, orange, even my son loves buttercream made with Root beer!

My favorite filling is Strawberry. I just mix buttercream with strawberry pie filling. It's yummy with the French Vanilla cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%