Nobel Prize

Decorating By Steady2Hands Updated 21 May 2008 , 9:49am by Shola

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 14

My husband's cousin won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry a few years ago. He will be in town soon and the family wants to have a get-together for him. Of course my first question was, "are you having a cake for him"? Needless to say, I will be making one. Now I need ideas. I wanted to make a replica of the Nobel Prize but it has a copyright on it. Do you all have any other ideas?

It was the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.

13 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:35am
post #2 of 14

If you aren't getting paid for it, I would think you could use the prize. If it's a gift to a cousin and not for profit or exchange of goods, there's no problem.

You gotta post a pic of this one...

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:18am
post #3 of 14

Yeah you can use it! and a round cake with either image of the side of the coin with gold luster dust or something would look great! Post a pic if you do it!

Nobel Prize for Chemestry Medal:

Would make a fab cake!
(Well done your hubbie's cousin!)

Steady2Hands Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you all for the replies and for the pic too. It's alot better than the one I have. Does anyone have suggestions on getting the 3-D embossed effect?

Shola Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 14

Hmmm, hopefully one of the pro's can help, the only thing I can think is molded or sculpted fondant with differing shades of gold, the old man side would be easier but the people in the clouds is a nicer image! Defo a challenge either way! icon_smile.gif

cakenewbiekgm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbiekgm Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 14

What a FAB cake this would make! You have to post pics when it is all done!

Steady2Hands Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 14

I'm thinking embossing is going to be a bit too hard. I wish I could paint like the person who paints cakes in chocolate. He/she posted a Titanic pic some time ago.

Any other suggestions?

Shola Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 14

How about just making the cake a plain round cake painted gold like this one : http://annie.dreamhosters.com/2007/07_1022_anniversary.jpg (minus leaves!) and then making a light outline to follow and piping the just the basic outline of the old man side in gold? (seeing as he is Alfred Nobel! icon_smile.gif ) If your good at piping go for the other side!
Simple yet classy thumbs_up.gif (not as in simple to do! you know what I mean!Lol)

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 14

Well I'm certainly no pro... But I would form the head with as much detail as possible out of MMF, put it on top of an iced cake and then cover the whole thing with MMF and get the detail just right and then airbrush.

Shola Posted 11 May 2008 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 14

Is the cake still a go?!
Would love to see a pic if it's still in the pipeline! (Haha no pun intended! icon_lol.gif )

Steady2Hands Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:53am
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone for the many replies and suggestions. The cake is done but my cord that connects the camera to the computer is not working icon_sad.gif . I'll have to buy a new one and then I'll be sure to post a pic.

I was a bit pressured for time and didn't get to do the "fabulous" cake that was in my head icon_lol.gif but everyone seemed thrilled with it. I did a golden colored silhouette with RI on waxed paper but it wasn't dried good enough when I got home from work so it cracked when I tried to remove it icon_sad.gif . So I cut out the picture I had printed on the computer, put it on the cake, and traced around it with a toothpick. The I just made the RI silhouette directly onto the cake. Then dummy me didn't work fast enough and some of the RI began to crust around the beard area before I could get it done. So I ended up using a toothpick to make the facial hair markings (beard, mustache, hair, eyebrows). No one knew that wasn't my plan thumbs_up.gif . So all in all it turned out okay "in my eyes" but they loved it.

While doing some research I found that Robert "Bobby" won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the Grubbs Catalyst. When I realized it reflected his last name I decided that it would be really cool to pipe that molecular structure on the sides of the cake. I figured that no one but him would even understand what my crazy design was for. He got it right away and as I thought, others just thought it was a "chemistry" design. We had to explain that it was what won him the Nobel Prize.

Someone asked him if he ever got a Nobel Prize cake before. He said he never had. I said, "you mean that in the last 3 years out of all the big parties and celebrations that have been thrown in your honor, no one ever made a Nobel Prize cake?" His response was, "no, this is a first". icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again you all! I'll post a pic as soon as I get one. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Shola Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:58am
post #12 of 14

Sounds great! Can't wait to see it thumbs_up.gif

Steady2Hands Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:01am
post #13 of 14

Yeah - although my cord is still broke and I could not find a store that had one, I did find a neat little gadget called a Mini Memory Card Reader. It works so much faster than connecting my camera to the computer.

I posted a pic of the cake in my photo gallery but I've also pasted a pic of me and "Bobby" Robert below. We are very proud of him!!!

Thank you all!!!
LL

Shola Posted 21 May 2008 , 9:49am
post #14 of 14

Great cake! Love the molecular structure on the sides! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%