Gold Coins For Teasure Chest Cake

Decorating By NoahLili Updated 5 May 2008 , 10:03am by wgoat5

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making gold coins out of fondant for a treasure chest cake. I'm planning on painting them with gold Luster Dust, but I've never used gold before. I want them really shiny, so should I color the fondant a color (yellow?) or can I use just white fondant?

3 replies
bmbard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmbard Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 4

I have done it both ways. I found the trick to make it shiny is to use the dust with a little vodka or everclear.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #3 of 4

I've done it both ways, too. I think I like starting with colored fondant. Actually, if you have AmeriColor Ivory gel/paste, that turns the fondant a nice, rich gold, too. It's a great starting point for coins.

When you paint them, if you mix the gold luster dust with lemon extract, the color will hold better once dry and won't come off on your hand or other cake parts as easily as if you use straight alcohol (the lemon oil holds the dust in place better). It smells nice & doesn't really impart a detectable flavor.

HTH
Rae

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:03am
post #4 of 4

In my experience with shiny (check out the rim around my banjo cake) I started with americolor gold colored / gp or fondant.. then I painted with a mixture of gold/pearl dust with everclear..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%