Marshmallow Frosting

Baking By chocolatecake Updated 23 May 2008 , 7:35pm by fiddlesticks

chocolatecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatecake Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have a good Marshmallow Frosting ( NOT fondant)

That is sturdy and won't slip when frosted between layers in a stacked cake that needs to be transported?

I've searched and can only find fondant- and my attempts are very soft frosting

thanks

5 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 6

I've never tried using this to frost a cake but....when I make swiss meringue buttercream, before I add the butter, the whipped egg/sugar mixture tastes A LOT like marshmallows. I don't know how it would act in a cake, though. It might be worth an experiment. the recipe I uses starts wtih 10 egg whites and 3 cups of sugar. You wisk them together over a double boiler till it reaches 140 degrees. Throw it in the mixer with the whisk attachement and let it go on medium high speed till its doubled in volume and doesn't slosh around the bowl.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 11 May 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 6

Here's one I had saved in my recipes. This is from CC.

Found this recipe in a magazine awhile back. Very YUMMY!! Great to ice a cake with and do some simple decorations...such as borders, writting, scroll work; but it does not crust.

1lb (4sticks) of unsalted butter, softened

2 jars or tubs (7 or 7 1/2 oz each) or 1 large tub (16 oz) marshmallow cream (such as Marshmallow Fluff or Creme)

2 cups confectioners' sugar

2 tsp vanilla (I had to reduce to 1 tsp b/c the vanilla flavor was overpowering w/ 2 tsp) you could also sub another flavoring for the other tsp.

Beat butter in a large bowl w/mixer on medim speed until creamy. Beat in marshmallow cream. When well blended, beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Increase speed to high and beat 3 to 4 min until fluffy.

shapeacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shapeacake Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 6

I love this icing - it's delicious. I've used it between layers before and the stickiness from the marshmallows made it pretty sturdy. But it is an icing, not a frosting, so it wouldn't work for decorations.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Marshmallow-Icing/Detail.aspx

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 6

Saving! You all just gave me a new idea for a cake flavor! Thanks!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 6

There is sryup you can buy thats toasted marshmallow you can add to the cake batter ! Would be great with the marshmallow icing to !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%