Need Ideas For A Cake For Wednesday!

Decorating By Crystal13 Updated 6 May 2008 , 2:16pm by CelebrationCakery

Crystal13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal13 Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:47am
post #1 of 15

I was asked to do a cake for a teacher appreciation luncheon this upcoming Wednesday. The theme is "holidays" (they are having popular foods from most holidays such as easter, thanksgiving, christmas, 4th of July, etc.)

I am trying to come up with an idea for a cake to include some of these holidays. The issue I'm having is the luncheon will only be for about 25-30 people and there will be plenty of food and some other desserts to eat...so I wasn't planning on making an extremely large cake. Probably only a 10" or 12" round maybe...

Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

14 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:55am
post #2 of 15

You could always do a Buche de Noel - I think that's the only holiday-specific cake that I do regularly icon_smile.gif

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:20am
post #3 of 15

hmm, what if you did the round cake .. with around a year with holidays theme ... divide the outside of the cake into sections then put pictures or piped designs of the holidays a different one per divided section ...

Then on top you could write Happy Merry Christmas New Years Valentines St. Patricks Memorial July 4th Etc. etc. Day .. Or you could do a topper and combine all the holidays a Box with a christmas bow with July forth (springy things come out) with the lid open and a turkey inside with a maks on ... LOL just an idea ...

Have fun

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:25am
post #4 of 15

You can do a collage cake...........you can just write something in the middle like.........Thanks for all that you do throughout the year

Then put something representing the holidays around the sides of the writing....like a heart for Valentines, a tree for Christmas....some leaves for fall, bunny for easter, etc......

Hope that this helps........

YanYan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YanYan Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:17am
post #5 of 15

I am going to give you something a little off the wall
icon_lol.gif
maybe you can have a chubby figure on top of the cake but torte it so that is high enough like 8 inches high or so.

And have a guy lying near the edge looking a little drunk or almost sliding off each chair

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=7673

and surround him with food and drink or a beer bottle- you can buy mini fOOD or model it yourself

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2316859

THEN - wrap mini emblems (chained together) around the cake in a downward spiral with nods to each holiday

mini trees and pepper lights, easter bunnies and eggs, american flag, live turkey. (flat 2 dimensional cutouts that would look like the lights you hang on a christmas tree.

(Lastly you can put the nods to each holiday at the bottom tier instead have all the characters walk up to the christmas tree with their presents)

You can write an edible message in a little scroll beside the man quote - "hic I sure love the holidays"

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:21am
post #6 of 15

Do you have a hexagon pan? If so, you could use each 'side' to depict a holiday? Not sure if you have it or it would work tho..HTH

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:27am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanYan

I am going to give you something a little off the wall
icon_lol.gif
maybe you can have a chubby figure on top of the cake but torte it so that is high enough like 8 inches high or so.

And have a guy lying near the edge looking a little drunk or almost sliding off each chair

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=7673

and surround him with food and drink or a beer bottle- you can buy mini fOOD or model it yourself

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2316859

THEN - wrap mini emblems (chained together) around the cake in a downward spiral with nods to each holiday

mini trees and pepper lights, easter bunnies and eggs, american flag, live turkey. (flat 2 dimensional cutouts that would look like the lights you hang on a christmas tree.

(Lastly you can put the nods to each holiday at the bottom tier instead have all the characters walk up to the christmas tree with their presents)

You can write an edible message in a little scroll beside the man quote - "hic I sure love the holidays"

WOW, that is an awesome idea.....That sounds like it would be great!!!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:28am
post #8 of 15

I'm thinking something very simple, use cookie cutters or something to cut out shapes from various holidays in fondant (pumpkin, tree, heart, egg, flag, etc. ), decorate them and attach to the side of the cake. On the top make a chalkboard from fondant, a larger brown rectangle with a gray one on top, and write a teacher appreciation message. I think it could be very cute.

YanYan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YanYan Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 15

I'm thinking something very simple, use cookie cutters or something to cut out shapes from various holidays in fondant (pumpkin, tree, heart, egg, flag, etc. ), decorate them and attach to the side of the cake. On the top make a chalkboard from fondant, a larger brown rectangle with a gray one on top, and write a teacher appreciation message. I think it could be very cute.

sounds great and doable thumbs_up.gif

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 15

do a quilt block cake.

Katied75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katied75 Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 15

Not sure if this would work, but I was thinking you could turn the round cake into a holiday clock, and instead of the numbers for time you could put symbols to represent holidays. And you could make the clock hands point to "teacher appreciation" and "summer vacation" or something like that. You said it was for teachers, correct?

Katie

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:18pm
post #12 of 15

Hey! Remember the calendars they used in the first couple of years of school that you would get to pin up the number as the days passed?? Maybe you could do a sheet cake calendar (no month listed, of course)with all the numbers 1-31, and on each day with a holiday, you could just make a symbol of that holiday like a Christmas tree for the 25th, a shamrock for the 17th, ect, ect.. icon_rolleyes.gif

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 15

I think a cake with side stencils of the different holiday would be so cute and the top a"beach scene" that says something like Holiday? across the top and Thank You for your Dedication and work, across the bottom of the top of the cake.

Crystal13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal13 Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:18pm
post #14 of 15

thank you everyone for all the fantastic ideas!!! Given me lots to work with! I appreciate it the help....as always!!!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:16pm
post #15 of 15

All of these ideas are absolutely wonderful. You know I have seen a few of the silhouettes done lately with beautiful fondant backround, maybe you could do that on a hexagon pan and each side can be painted for the holiday only in silhouette...It makes me want to draw it to see what you could do for each holiday....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%