Brushed Embroidery

Decorating By sweetkim Updated 4 May 2008 , 4:23pm by confectioneista

sweetkim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkim Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:14am
post #1 of 10

icon_smile.gif What is brushed embroidery and how is it done? Is there a class on it? Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks !! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #2 of 10

I believe it's done with royal icing and you do an outline. The first thing that comes to mind is a pansy and then you take a slightly damp (small) paintbrush and gently brush the insides of the outline directly to the center. It gives the effect of embroidery. Looks really cool and I would love to try it.

You might check You Tube for an online tutorial videos icon_smile.gif

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:28am
post #3 of 10

I just looked it up in the Wilton's book and CakeDiva73 was right on the money. It looks beautiful and I know I have seen some gorgeous cakes on here with it. Let us know if you try it and how it comes out! Good luck!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:37am
post #4 of 10

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/brush.cfm

Here is a link to how to do it. You wouldn't press hard with the cutters, just enough on the crusting buttercream to create a light outline and of course you could even freehand the design too! I guess it could be done with royal icing, but I've always done it with buttercream on crusted buttercream icing. I don't know if it can be done on fondant or not since the wilton website said it won't work on dry icing. I've never tried it.

I think the embroidery technique is so pretty!

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:49am
post #5 of 10

Someone was just asking about this same thing earlier.

Yes, you can do it on fondant - it works best on it rather than bc. And using RI for the embroidery.

Just with RI you have to do the piping and then the brushing in small sections at a time as the RI will dry quickly. And as for your design outline, you can always pinprick the fondant so you know where to pipe.

Cakediva is right in how to do the technique. It's actually very easy to do, it just takes time to do.

HTH

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 10

Brush lace is easy, I looked up the Wilton's instructions and practice a bit.

Here is the first cake I did with the brush lace technique.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1046133

confectioneista Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 10

Very pretty cake - nicely done brushed embroidery Lomikesa!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 10

You can also do the brushed embroidery technique WITH fondant -- thin it out with piping gel to a piping consistency and brush out from there.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

You can also do the brushed embroidery technique WITH fondant -- thin it out with piping gel to a piping consistency and brush out from there.

hey . . . good to know icon_biggrin.gif . . . thanx for the tip

confectioneista Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 10

That's a cool idea - I'll have to give it a try, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%