Has Anyone Successfully Refrigerated Gumpaste Flowers?

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 4 May 2008 , 11:42am by pjaycakes

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:29am
post #1 of 9

Has anyone successfully refrigerated gp flowers? I heard that you shouldn't do it.

I made a few practice gp roses last week and I put them in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. They seemed to do fine. I was wondering if this was just a fluke or can be done consistantly.

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:00am
post #2 of 9

Yah, I had good luck w/that too. I did a huge loopy bow and it was in the frig for a week w/o problems.
It depends a lot on the perticular frig I think. Those that self defrost (does anyone still have manual defrost friges anymore?) should give less is not any problems.

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:01am
post #3 of 9

I have never put gumpaste in the fridge and am unsure why you would need to

gumpaste dires really hard and lasts for a really long time as long as it is kept in a dry place.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:50am
post #4 of 9

Since humidity is an enemy of gumpaste, I would try to avoid the frig. if I could.

Jen icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:12am
post #5 of 9

I was under the impression gumpaste could be kept pretty much indefinitely if in an air tight container and away from sunlight?

Why would they go in the fridge - I don't get it, lol?

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #6 of 9

There's really no need to refrigerate it. Leave it at room temp and cover it to protect it. Simple, simple.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:21am
post #7 of 9

I imagine the reason they are wanting to put gumpaste in the frig is so that they can completely decorate a cake ahead of time... Lots of busy women around here...grin... icon_wink.gif It is wedding season...

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:25am
post #8 of 9

But I thought the frosting breaks down gumpaste so you put those on right before completion? I understand if it is a fondant cake, however a fondant cake would never be put in the fridge anyway.......or maybe I am getting them mixed up with RI flowers. I know RI flowers will soften when placed on a cake - do the gumpaste ones do the same thing?

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:42am
post #9 of 9

The cake I'm doing is cream cheese icing and the lady is picking it up the evening before and she has to take it to work with her the next day. She will need to put it in the refrigerator when she gets it home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%