Calling All Cake Decorater Need Help!!!

Decorating By bigmama1961 Updated 6 May 2008 , 7:25am by Charmaine49

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 18

I've got to do a wedding shower cake.this is going to be trickie, He wants John Deere,she want garden, lawn, landscapeing, they want all of this on one cake icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif HELP!!! PLEASE..NO IDEALS.

17 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 18

I'd do a sheet cake, made to look like a garden. I'd buy a toy John Deere to put on it. I've seen a few cakes in the galleries. You might want to search for them John Deere/ gardens. Good luck!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 18

You can use brown sugar or crushed graham crackers for dirt. Maybe make something like a garden with rows of veggies and you could have some veggies just sorta lying around or signs for the type of veggie with the tractor nearby. If you work with fondant, you could make some garden tools (like a hoe, shovel etc.)

And you could have one corner of the cake with flowers on it w/garden gloves with a small sign "Welcome to my garden" or something like that. Good luck! That sounds really cute!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 18

Maybe a sheetcake with half of it a garden, something like this http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=29800
and the other half a lawn, with a John Deere tractor or lawn mower or something on it?

Good luck!

pearliesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearliesmom Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 18

I think it would be cool if you could do a sheet cake and make it look kinda like a garden and then have the John Deere Tractor driving through tearing up all of the garden!!! You could put part with the nice garden and landscaping and the other part where the tractor is coming through put broken looking plants. This is basically what my husband does to all of my pretty flowers and stuff I have planted. This sounds like a lot of work, but I think it would be cool, it would kinda be like marriage, life is nice and wonderful and beautiful and all is well and then here comes the hubby tearing it all to shreds. icon_biggrin.gif

bigmama1961 Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:57am
post #6 of 18

LOT OF GOOG IDEALS THANK YOU BUT I'AM STILL LOOKING KEEP THEM COMING...PEARLIES MOM KICK THAT HUBBY OF YOUR WHEN HE TEARS YOUR FLOWERS UP MINE BETTER STAY AWAY FROM MINE HE KNOWS BETTER.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:23am
post #7 of 18

You could do a smaller cake like the garden, and make a JD out of cake (sculpted) to plow into the garden cake. Good luck!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #8 of 18

I've made a 1/2 sheet cake before with the garden, rows of crops, crushed oreo path from the little fondant barn, and a Deere tractor in the fields. It does come out really cute, like the other posters said!

But, this is for a wedding shower. So make it more about love, marriage and being together? Instead of farm-ish, possibly make it homey.

If you're to use a sheet cake, you could make w/ fondant (or buy) a little house, and landscape it with lawn and a beautiful little flower garden. If the G2B is into farming, then use a tractor next to a small veggie garden, if he's a suburban guy then use a Deere rider mower on the lawn. Either way, here's how I'd tie it all together. Make a little sign that says " Getting Married" or "Love and Marriage" and attach it to the back of the toy Deere with little ribbons (like they do with cars), with a little bouquet of the garden flowers placed on the seat. Make the flowers look like they're tied with a ribbon.

If you choose to do a tiered cake, you can use the same theme, but possibly put the garden flowers at the base of each tier with the whole Deere set-up on the top tier that has lawn-green icing just on the surface (not the sides). But maybe the tiered idea would look too much like a wedding cake.

Ok, this turned out to be lengthy...sorry! icon_smile.gif I do my creative thinking late at night or else in the shower, either time when my three little ones are sleeping and the house is quiet. icon_smile.gif

Hth! Best of luck to you!

bigmama1961 Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 18

shichic68, like your ideal too, they just country folk, but you do got me to thinking about the sign and ribbon and flowers thanks.i do my thinking after my dh goes to bed and its me and my baby miss daisy(dog)...iam a night owl too.keep thinking for me with all of us we will come up with something thanks everyone for your help.keep those ideal coming.got to do it for the 17th.

kellygray79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellygray79 Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:19am
post #10 of 18

I love the idea skichic68 had with the John Deere and having the decorations attached to the back of it like the just married stuff on the back of a car. You could do a sheet cake to look like a lawn and makes small flowers to look like a garden but have the grown flowers spell out Love - each letter a different flower. Lots of good ideas on this post - good luck deciding what you'll do - you need to post a picture of your final product. thumbs_up.gif

bigmama1961 Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:21am
post #11 of 18

Ive got to post few pics but my sister is going to do it for me she slow and always late...HOW CAN I MAKE THIS CAKE LOOK CLASSIE AND NOT TACKY YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN??IT IS FOR A BRIDAL SHOWER..

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:38am
post #12 of 18

Make a sheet cake that looks like a garden with a dirt path right down the middle. Then put a tiny John Deere tractor driving down the path with cans and such tied to it and a banner on the back of the tractor that says" Just Married". You could even make a fondant couple riding away in the tractor.

Swede-cakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:44am
post #13 of 18

bigmama1961, I understand you want to make this a beautiful, classy cake for them. That's heartfelt and touching!

You mentioned "He wants John Deere,she want garden, lawn, landscapeing, they want all of this on one cake". With my cakes, I believe the cake should reflect the person it's for. So with all the suggestions from CC'ers here, I think you could really create something lovely! It can indeed all fit on a 1/2 or full sheet cake (depending on how many servings you need). These ideas can even be used for a multi-tiered cake.

Sounds like you're getting a little anxious? May I offer something that helps me when I feel like that? I like to use my daughter's colored pencils to make sketches of possible cake designs before I even get my mixer out. It helps me to put down on paper what's spinning around in my head. Would picking up a pen or pencil work for you?

You're going to come up with something great! We're here for you...and I can't wait to see a pic of the finished product. thumbs_up.gif

bigmama1961 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:52am
post #14 of 18

Yes you are right I'am anxious. my brain pictures this but my eyes cant see it does that make sense? I love these Ideals just got to incorperate them its the tractor that worries me dont want it to look like a kids birthday cake but dont see away out of it when he likes John deere. I'am going to run these Ideal you all have gaven me by them see if they like.I do thank all of you so much for your help..

bigmama1961 Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:33pm
post #15 of 18

I SAT DOWN AND TALKED TO HER TODAY,THE THEME IS JOHN DEERE AND GARDEN FLOWERS SO IAM GOING TO TAKE EVERY IDEALS AND COMBINE THEM AND DO THIS CAKE ON THERE REGISTER THEY ASK FOR RAKES, SHOVEL, WATER HOSES,ALL OUT DOOR THINGS.AND I LOOKED AT ALL THE PIC ON JOHN DEERES. WELL MY EYES ARE CROSSED ANYWAY BUT THERE ARE GREAT CAKES IN THE GALLIERY.THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH.

Swede-cakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:47pm
post #16 of 18

Awesome, bigmama1961! Best of luck in your creation! icon_biggrin.gif

rmbias1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmbias1 Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:30am
post #17 of 18

If you decide to do a sheet cake, at one end make it look like the lawn with the JD mower and the other end a flower garden. In the center of the cake make fondant girl and boy sitting on a bench together, with either his arm around her or maybe kissing, something loving. Be sure to include ring on her finger. Make a sign that says "all things grow with love" or maybe the couple's last name (The Newlyweds, The Jones').

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:25am
post #18 of 18

Bigmama1961, been following this topic!

I wish you well with your ideas and your cake and am waiting to
see the end result.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%