Bug Question (Sorry Have To Ask)

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 4 May 2008 , 2:17pm by christeena

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:14am
post #1 of 14

Okay, I have never had any kind of bugs, roaches, ants. I keep all my extra flour, sugar and cake mixes in the freezer. The only sugar and flour I have in the pantry are both in airtight containers for immediate use.

I purchased fondant in the buckets I have about 6 buckets (some have been opened, some not). The fondant is still in the plastic bags with the lids on the containers. Every once in awhile when I go in the pantry there is one or two tiny little bugs on the outside of the fondant buckets, or dead ones on the floor below the fondant (on the shelf above).

I have cleaned and sprayed my entire pantry and threw away every opened food item (thinking they were coming from something else).

Is it possible that they are hopping a ride from the warehouse? If so, how do I keep them away. I hate bugs.

13 replies
lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 14

You know, I went through something like this not too long ago. Hadn't seen them in there before, just opened up my pantry and there they were one day. Had to throw away a lot of food. icon_mad.gif I noticed there was space between the floor and the base board, so I caulked the h tapedshut.gif ll out of my pantry. Haven't seen the little buggers since.

If they are hopping a ride from the warehouse, I would just check every bucket you bring home, maybe even rinse them off just to be sure.

I'm with you, I hate bugs!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 14

First, regardless of where they came from, you need to get them indentifed and then you probably will know just what they are after.

Years ago, I had saw toothed beetles - OMG - were THEY a PIA!!! Had to put everything in plastic containers. They would saw right thru the boxes of rice, pasta ect. Thank GOD they are gone.... you just never know where you get them from...

Jen

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 14

I feel your pain! Just this week I noticed an ant. Then 2 then 10 then more! YUCK. Of course they were just in the kitchen! I was freaking out. I got 2 recommendations for the "home defense" I think it is called. You can spray it indoors and outside around the perimiter of your home. Anyway, I had my DH do it right away and I havent seen any since. I think this is good for many kinds of bugs.

Can you tell if your bug is a flying type? There is that other kind that can infest your pantry that like flour and stuff. I cant remember the name for the life of me. I had that happen several years ago when someone gave us some bird seed and I think it came from that.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 14

http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/pantrypests304.shtml

Try looking at this site. I just figured out that what I had last time was called the indian meal moth (found in birdseed!)

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 14

I had bugs a few times they are hard to get rid of! My creature was in indain meal moth. Keep in mind these can come in anything that is from grain. Flour, pasta, dog food, bird seed, rice and what ever else they like to eat.

The problem is if you let things sit in your pantry for too long the eggs that the adults have layed are now hatching and getting into your food and repeating the cycle again. the are discusting! I had them twice. I had an exterminaor come spray and come back again in 4 months. A year later they came back. It was a terrible cycle. The worse product out there is that Jiffy mix you can buy for .30. Lesson learned here is dont let thing sit more than a month. My bigs have moved on to someone elses house thank god!

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 14

Oh I know your frustrated. I have a 1926 house that will never really be completely sealed up airtight. We get occasional ant convoys that come in and I have to follow the trial to see what they are after, usually sugar or orange juice. I also found that dog biscut often have meally bugs. So I just pop the boxes from the store straight into the freezer for a coupole of weeks and then put them in the pantry. Once the meally bugs are in the pantry, I have to throw away all opened food. Open sealed food in boxes and bags, check to see if it's infected, and if not, place them in a plastic airthight container for several months to interupt the bug's life cycle. What a pain

I can't figure out how to get the emoticions into my posts icon_sad.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 14

That happened to me once, years ago and it was when I was first married and in the upstairs apt. of a house where we rented. Terrible! In the house I'm in now I've had ants in the kitchen twice even though I have the exterminators come and work here on a convenience plan four times a year. I let them know about the ants and they sprayed in the kitchen , but the best thing was sticking a piece of paper towel in a crevice I noticed on the window sill and I've never seen them in my kitchen again.

Now I find them occassionally in my master bath! icon_mad.gif I sprayed the h-e-double hockey stick out of the bathroom with Raid, all along their trail, but I still see some straddlers on occasion. DH just bought something else to spray the bath and the basement below with (now if he only had time to actually do it!). At least they're no longer in the kitchen.

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 14

Spray Ortho Home defense Max (You get it in homedepot, Lowes, walmart) once every spring season to keep all kinds of bugs away. They have seperate nozzle settings for indoors and outdoors. Spray the window sills too. They'll keep all the bugs away for 8-10 months.

Hope this helps.

pjaycakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 14

I found where they were coming from. It was a container of oatmeal that had been put in the back. It wasn't even opened., that is why I missed it the first time, because I only threw out the opened things. Well I have a bare pantry now except for jars and cans. icon_lol.gif Oh well I'm just glad I found out what and where they were coming from.

Thanks Merissa for that website. I opened it and there they were in the first pic. I'm so glad it wasn't the fondant attracting them.

Thanks everyone for letting me know It wasn't just me.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:25am
post #11 of 14

Keep in mind even though you throw everything opened away they can still be in the pantry. you literly have to throw everything away even cans. What happens is the lay eggs in cracks, crevices nooks and crannies. When I open boxes I look unter the flap because they get in there too. When I had IMM they were inside a boxthat had a book stand inside I didnt think twice anything of keeping it untill they came back and I opened it and EEEEEEW.................

pjaycakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:44am
post #12 of 14

Thank you. I will wipe everything down in hopes to save them. If I see them return I'll dump everything.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:58am
post #13 of 14

ew ew EWWWW LOL I hate any kind of bug!!!

I am a bug NUT.. so when we moved into the house we have now (12 years ago) I started Orkin.. I have kept them even though I don't see a thing (we got them because I saw a spider once).. They also have a powder for ants... I ask them
EVERY time to shoot that powder under my sink in the crevices (because nine times out of ten they come in under the sink).. I have him do this around the bathrooms also... For some reason I think bugs like water and come in around that source. I learned this after my mom and dad moved into their 1890 restored house.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:17pm
post #14 of 14

Ever since I started keeping bulbs of garlic sitting on my pantry shelves, I haven't noticed a single critter. And the best part is - no chemicals!! Try it, see if it doesn't work for you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%