*homemade* Baking Strips

Decorating By chutzpah Updated 16 Dec 2014 , 4:38am by FutureCakeBoss

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:59am
post #1 of 21

My baking strips are a wreck and I need new ones. I just purchased a sewing machine and thought that at some point I had read that folks had made their own from terry toweling.

My question is.... how many layers of toweling?

Thanks.

20 replies
minkiemoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minkiemoo Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:20am
post #2 of 21

I use homemade bake even strips and mine are two layers of towel.

chutzpah Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:52am
post #3 of 21

Thank you. I was thinking either two or three layers.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:26am
post #4 of 21

do you use old towels or new ones will work as well?

chutzpah Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 21

I'm sure new ones would work, but I am going to use old ones.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 21

I recently made some baking strips from some terry cloth scraps I have. They were new. I doubled them and they're too thick. I am going to make some new ones with only one thickness. I did not like the way the outside edge of the cake came out and the cake was hard to remove from the pan. I never had that problem until these new thick strips.

How are you planning to fasten them? I'm using a large saftey pin right now but am toying with the idea of velcro--wonder if it can take the heat.

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 21

I took old bath towels and cut strips about 4inches wide the length of the towel. I didnt sew anything, I just fold them in half when I need to use then. I wrap them around the pans and tuck the ends into its self and go. Ive been using them for a year or 2 now. I tried the bake strips from the store and I think the towels soaked and wrung out work better for me. And they virtually cost nothing.

chutzpah Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 21

I'm going to use the long pins that came with my old ones. I guess it depends on how thick the orginal toweling is whether one folds or not, and how many times.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 21

Please let us know what works best. I need some but they are always one of those things that I just do without.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 21

I use small binder clips to secure my baking strips. They're easy to attach and detach.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

How are you planning to fasten them? I'm using a large saftey pin right now but am toying with the idea of velcro--wonder if it can take the heat.

oh no velcro! might melt and heated plastic gives off toxic fumes!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by foots2

I took old bath towels and cut strips about 4inches wide the length of the towel. I didnt sew anything, I just fold them in half when I need to use then. I wrap them around the pans and tuck the ends into its self and go. Ive been using them for a year or 2 now. I tried the bake strips from the store and I think the towels soaked and wrung out work better for me. And they virtually cost nothing.

do you wring them out pretty well or just so it's not dripping?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:11pm
post #13 of 21

They need to be just damp; wring them out well.

I LOVE the idea of binder clips!

..and I cross the velcro off the list!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:23pm
post #14 of 21

thanks! off to try them out =D

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:06pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks forthe idea. I tried it today and it worked great!! icon_biggrin.gif

pearliesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearliesmom Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 21

Thanks for the wonderful idea. I was debating on buying those, but now I will just try your way. thumbs_up.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:12am
post #17 of 21

hey gals... thanks for the idea... i'd been thinking about buying the baking strips but was having a hard time justifying the cost... and i just happen to have some dish towels i was about to replace... icon_biggrin.gif and I LOVE using the binder clips! can't wait to try this with my next cake

love5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love5 Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 1:39pm
post #18 of 21

Hi i just made my own bake strips last night after seeing a post just cut strips from my old towl and the ends overlaped all i did to hold in place was use a paper clip worked great. I soaked the strips and just rung them out a tiny bit i wanted them to stay pretty wet.My cakes seem to come out pretty good and i made a 8x3,10x3 and 12x3 cake. Loved the idea when i saw it and best was i already had the towel compared to spending $9 for a bake strip.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 4:55pm
post #19 of 21

*Stupid question time*

In using the homemade baking strips, would it matter if they are used in a gas oven vs an electric oven? I will be making the cake for my daughters baby shower tomorrow. I'm going to use the new commercial gas oven at my church since I can bake everything at once. ;-)

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 8:55pm
post #20 of 21

I fold up a few sheets of newspaper, soak them in water, wrap aluminum foil around them so the newspaper doesn't dry out, and attached them to the cake pan with binder clips. Always a success.

FutureCakeBoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FutureCakeBoss Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 4:38am
post #21 of 21

um.......you can make homemade baking strips??? lol :$

I was just gonna buy the Wilton one?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%