Cake Cutting Colledge Kids (Long)

Business By lilmiz Updated 3 May 2008 , 5:58am by CoutureCake

lilmiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmiz Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:17am
post #1 of 4

Ok So I haven't started a business yet, just friends and family stuff. But I am working on getting it together and I have a question well a story and then a question.

For my friends duaghters party she wanted a 1/2 sheet. She had about 20 kids but she wanted lots of cake for adults and such.

So the young adults who work at the party location are great with the kids, but I watch them cutting the cake and they are cutting it in like 4x4x4 inch slices! After like six kids half the cake is gone, so I jump in and stop the madness

If I was not there they would have for sure run out of cake. These party places have colledge kids working there usually,who don't really know.

My question is how do you let the customer buying your cake know so they pay attention to how there cake is being served?

They are usally busy with kids and presents and guests and just trust that the cake is being served properly.

3 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #2 of 4

'Stop the madness' - that gave me a chuckle! icon_wink.gif

I would give your clients (or whoever) clear cutting instructions. People do NOT know how to cut cake, I'm serious....they have no clue. Find a cutting guide that you like and make copies to give - or maybe create a page that you can customize and print these so they have an idea of how to proceed.

Yeah, the venue should educate their help but I think we as cake decorators can educate our customers too and then maybe the madness will stop! LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:25am
post #3 of 4

Based on some of the college kids I've met, you'll probably have to draw them a picture! icon_lol.gif Leave instructions, but do a little more than say "cut in 2x2" squares....." On a 12x18 cake, for example, I'd phrase it "Cut in 2x2 squares .... which is 6 rows by 9 columns" They might not be able to measure 2" but surely they can count to 6. (although with some of them, I may be giving them more credit than they deserve!)

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:58am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

They might not be able to measure 2" but surely they can count to 6. (although with some of them, I may be giving them more credit than they deserve!)

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif TOO TRUE!!!!!!

Yea, ALWAYS include a cutting guide for the cake. There is a saying that ... "Common sense is NOT COMMON!"... I've seen people cut cake in 1/2x2x2 slices, and it's like "Uh, you must not like cake huh!"...

I agree with Debi here. OTOH, you might want to call the venue and ask to talk with a manager about the situation because there's ZERO excuse for giving ANY kid except the birthday kid a slice of cake THAT big!!!! How many people have complained to the bakeries because people left cake on their plates and there wasn't enough cake to serve as many people as the baker said it would...

To quote Bugs Bunny... Some people are just Maaaaaarons...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%