Does This Need A Noncrusting Icing?

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 3 May 2008 , 8:02pm by terri76

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 9

I posted this cake pic yesterday and I know it's not the best pic, but can anyone tell me if this design could be done with a crusting cream cheese icing or would I have to make it non crusting?
LL

8 replies
lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 9

I can't really see the detail, is the texture on the sides done by piping or with a spatula? If it's piping, then a crusting should be fine, but if it's with a spatula.... my guess would be no.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

pjaycakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 9

Here is a closer picture. I think it is piped with icing like a 103 or 104 and then a comb or skewer is used to make the vertical stripes.
LL

lanibird Posted 2 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 9

Hmm... I personally would go with a non-crusting, just because I know I'm not a fast worker and the icing would start to crust before I was done. But, if your icing doesn't crust quickly or you know you can move fast, you might be able to do it.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

pjaycakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 9

Great thanks so much. icon_smile.gif Now I just need to find a good non-crusting cream cheese icing to use.

lanibird Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 9

You could try a Cream Cheese SMBC, that definately doesn't crust. This recipe is similar to the one I use:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6927-2-Very-Vanilla-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream.html , though I admit, I have yet to do a Cream Cheese SMBC, so I cannot attest to the taste.

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 9

Ok, I've got to ask...how in the devil would you do this cake? Would you pipe the whole cake horizontal then use the dowels to make the vertical lines? icon_confused.gif

Oh, I think non-crusting too. thumbs_up.gif

pjaycakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 9

I think that is how it is done. It was in a bride magazine. It was done by Cake Man Raven. I'm going to use this concept but try to put a slightly different twist on it. I'm trying a small test cake this week. I'll let you know.

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 9

It has a very different but gorgeous look! Definately let us know how your test cake comes out, I'm anxious to know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%