Square Cakes - Neat Corners, Help!

Decorating By ncdessertdiva Updated 2 May 2008 , 1:09pm by cakesbycombs

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:03am
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a square wedding cake - 6, 8, 10 & 12. It is in BC and I know that I'm going to have issues with making the corners look good. Do you have any tips/tricks to make it easier and look good?
Thanx,
Leslie

8 replies
cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:29am
post #2 of 9

i have no good advice...but i wanted you to know that i feel for ya, i hate square cakes but i know there are people on here who have PERFECT corners and i will be watching this thread for the answer too icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:31am
post #3 of 9

I'm one who LUVS doing square cakes. I counted up once and of 19 consecutive weddings, 15 were square.

here's a link with some pics on how I do my corners.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5396443-.html#5396443

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:40am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdessertdiva

I'm doing a square wedding cake - 6, 8, 10 & 12. It is in BC and I know that I'm going to have issues with making the corners look good. Do you have any tips/tricks to make it easier and look good?
Thanx,
Leslie

I use a piece of wax paper and a spatula to help me build up my corners if I am having a hard time. I build up my corners as much as possible. (Let the icing crust over slightly). Then I fold and crease a piece of waxpaper and place it over the corner or edge that I am working on. I stand one spatula or any straight edge against one corner and work my other spatula on the other side of the waxpaper so my edge ends up being straight. If you have enough space in your fridge pop the cake in until the icing firms up enough for you to peel off the paper. Also cut the paper long enough so it extends beyone both sides you are working on. This way you do not have any tell tale signs.

Give it a try and see if it works for you. It sounds complicated but it's pretty simple.

specialk225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialk225 Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:06am
post #5 of 9

Does anyone know if I can add Glucose to the Wilton Gumpaste that is already made up in the box? I find that it is a little stiff and I would like to loosen it up more.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:12am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk225

Does anyone know if I can add Glucose to the Wilton Gumpaste that is already made up in the box? I find that it is a little stiff and I would like to loosen it up more.

Post this to a new thread rather than "hijacking the topic". This way if someone else has the same questions it does not get lost under this topic.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:30am
post #7 of 9

Sugarshack has a great video out that shows you step by step how to get these corners straight. It is a great video.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks Tona!

I use a hot bench scraper and go at the corners at a 90 degree angle from the side of the cake, from both sides of it, to get perfect square corners.

HTH

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 9

indydeb...i can't melvira it because i don't use a crusting BC... icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%