Question About Layering Folded Fondant Strips.

Decorating By sarahnichole975 Updated 1 May 2008 , 9:08pm by wgoat5

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a wedding cake as a gift for my cousin this weekend. I was given creative freedom to do whatever I want. Her colors are white, a dark fuschia, a light fuschia, and bright orange. I always embrace gift cakes with creative freedom to try something new. Kerry Vincent has a cake in her Romantic Wedding cakes book called Simply Pretty in Pink and I'd like to do the horizontal striped effect in white, the light fuschia, and orange. Her response cards had a branch of cherry blossoms with butterflies, so I thought that I'd run branches up over the seams where the fondant strips meet with butterflies around it. My question is, in the book she covers the cake in fondant first and then applies the strips. I personally don't care for fondant's taste as much as I love the look of it and think that it's gonna be a whole bunch of it if I do it that way. Could I cover just the top of the cake with fondant with just an inch or two overlapping onto the sides and then starting at the top place the strips on overlapping each other with just a thin layer of bc on the cake. Will they be too heavy and pull down the bc or will having the overlapping effect hold them on there okay. I tried to find a pic to post since my scanner is broken and the only one I can find of it is here.

http://www.oksugarartshow.com/kerryvincent/index.htm

It's the cake in the middle, though it's not a good pic. For those who don't have the book, the strips are cut and then folded in half with the fold up. TIA for all suggestions. I know it's gonna be a bit of a PITA but I'm pretty sure I can pull it off.

2 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 3

I looked but I could't see the picture clearly enough to see the details or be of much help, sorry! I do LOVE your color palette and cannot wait to see this cake icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 3

Nik I think that would work fine.. especially since you will have a full piece of fondant on the top and overlapping.. Oh wow I can't wait to see this icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif !!!!!! Hopefully you will get some more suggestions..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%