Can't Afford An Agbay? Use Unwaxed Dental Floss! Nice Cuts

Decorating By cocobean Updated 2 May 2008 , 4:45pm by delisa01

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 11

I got a great tip the other day for torting cakes! Use UNwaxed DENTAL FLOSS! 1. Place the floss around the cake holding taute. Make sure its where you want it. Cross the ends and pull carefully. Thats it!!! Who can afford an agbay when there is dental floss? I bought a Wilton leveler once it's the worst thing I ever purchased!!!

10 replies
cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 11

Agreed. Those things suck. I love dental floss - use it almost every time!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 11

Ok, I'm stupid.....what in the name of God is an agbay? icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Ok, I'm stupid.....what in the name of God is an agbay? icon_smile.gif

An agbay is a cake leveler that costs $150.

The only problem is even when I do this method it doesn't work for me. I'm cake cutting challenged. icon_rolleyes.gif

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 11

Check it out at agbayproducts.com. Everyone raves about this awesome cake leveler! I don't have one yet, maybe someday.........

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 11

The Agbay is well worth the money! You wont realize it until you have one! Santa broguht me one this year and I love it

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:43am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

1. Place the floss around the cake holding taute. Make sure its where you want it. Cross the ends and pull carefully.

Ok sorry to sound dumb, but you wrap the floss all the way around the layer? I guess that makes more sense than how I was imagining trying to pull it through staright across icon_redface.gif Thank you! Will this work for my 9x13's too?

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:52am
post #8 of 11

fishing line works great too!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:56am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

I got a great tip the other day for torting cakes! Use UNwaxed DENTAL FLOSS! 1. Place the floss around the cake holding taute. Make sure its where you want it. Cross the ends and pull carefully. Thats it!!! Who can afford an agbay when there is dental floss? I bought a Wilton leveler once it's the worst thing I ever purchased!!!

It's great when people realize you don't need expensive gadgets to make great cakes. Good job. Keep it up!!! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:59am
post #10 of 11

The only problem I had with the dental floss is getting wonky cuts -- wavy like. Any suggestions on how to combat this?

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:45pm
post #11 of 11

I use dental floss too! I mark where I want my cut with toothpicks and then I score around the cake with a knife. I then put the dental floss around the cake and make sure it is in the groove of where I scored the cake then pull through. I try to pull the floss at the height I want it to avoid waves (learned this the hard way). I do want an agbay though...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%