Please Help Finding A Truly Safe Room Temp. Rasp Filling....

Decorating By kkhigh Updated 2 May 2008 , 12:21pm by springlakecake

kkhigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkhigh Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 12

Hi

I'm needing to come up with a raspberry filling for a wedding cake that is safe to sit out overnight and then some. I am covering the cake in fondant, so it can't be refrigerated, and I'd like to cover the cakes the night before the wedding instead of the day of.

I've been doing a lot of reading here on the subject and now am more scared than ever! Please, does anyone know of a raspberry filling that can be used and left out for 24 or so hours safley (as in the health department would approve=safe).

I've thought about mixing jam or the sleeve fillings with buttercream...so far this seems like the safest option.

I've read about pastry pride type products and looked on Rich's website but found nothing that says you can leave it out of the fridge...maybe it says that on the carton?

I can purchase frozen raspberry puree (raspberries, sugar) and would love to mix this into my BC for a filling. I think this would give the best flavor, but I do not trust the puree out of the fridge. (just fruit and sugar)What if I cooked it? Would that make it safe like a jam?

Edited to add: Another possibility would be a white chocolate ganache with raspberry puree or preserves mixed in? How that hold?

Thanks for any help,
Kim

11 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 12

Hi,
First I have to say that I put fondant in the fridge all the time with no problem whatsoever. I've read over and over that other people do the same. I'm not quite sure why people don't do it other than perhaps it may sweat a little as it comes to room temp.

As for the raspberry filling, you are right on track. The Pastry Pride is a non dairy topping that can be mixed with pretty much anything. So if you're going for something like a raspberry mousse, just add the filling from the sleeves or jam right to it and gently fold to incorporate. IT can be left out, no problem.

Same goes with mixing raspberry jelly or the sleeve filling with buttercream. It can be left out with no problem. As far as I know jams and jellys are perfectly fine to be left unrefrigerated because there isn't any dairy in them.

Hope that helps!
KimAZ

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 12

This is my raspberry filling - I have used it for many, many weddings, showers, and other occasions where the cake is out at room temperature for several days. The sugar and alcohol help preserve it.

By the way, it's also delicious. icon_biggrin.gif

www.cakeboss.com/raspberryfilling.aspx

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 12

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2503-0-Raspberry-Filling.html

Here is my recipe. It will sit out overnight fine. I don't like to make it up more than 2-3 days in advance though

kkhigh Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks, everyone for the replies.
The recipes sound really yummy.
I have to admit I'm still nervous about fruit as a filling!
How do we know it is "safe"?
Thanks again,
Kim

springlakecake Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:14am
post #6 of 12

I would be nervous if it had dairy...not so much fruit. Generally there is a lot of sugar added to these recipes and that is a preservative.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:27am
post #7 of 12

I've left fruit filling out of the fridge no problems. I figure if fruit can be left on my counter, it can be left in my cakes and on the counter.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:39am
post #8 of 12

I have used fruit fillings many times and left them out for days, there's not really anything to go bad, no dairy, eggs etc... I actually made my own B'day cake with this filling and was still eating it, not refrigerated, after 5 days. Still delicious and absolutely no tummy aches or deaths to report

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4143-7-Raspberry-Puree-Filling.html

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:41am
post #9 of 12

When I was a teenager I worked at Denny's, and the big thing then was the pies.."Mother Butler Pies". All the cream pies, pies with whipped topping, and lemon meringue, were kept in the refrigerator case, but the fruit pies like apple, cherry, blueberry, etc, were stored in the non-refrigerator case. They were rotated out about every 3 days. Fruit with sugar in it is preserved very well. As merissa said, 3 days is probably the max you want to leave it out, but really there is nothing to worry about for those 3 days.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #10 of 12

okay, so the sleeve fruit fillings, raspberry, strawberry, and lemon are ok at room temp right?? fora couple days?

kkhigh Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:27am
post #11 of 12

Thanks guys... I really don't mean to be so nervous about it...just when you are making cake for 150 people, you can't be too careful!
Thanks for the help and for making me feel better about the whole situation!

springlakecake Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:21pm
post #12 of 12

Yeah, and the only reason I say that i dont make it more than 2-3 days in advance is because it usually starts to separate (like there is sugar syrup). I don't think it is "going bad" or spoiling. I usually do keep it in the fridge until I use it and any leftovers I store in the fridge. But I think it is fine to leave out for a few days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%