Cc Throwdown #3 Has Now Began!!!

Decorating By Teekakes Updated 8 Jun 2008 , 5:06am by tonedna

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #1261 of 1405

Oh my, it's quiet here today. What happened?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:33pm
post #1262 of 1405

Lol Grace...Working on my weddiings today...Miss the crowd!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1263 of 1405

Hi, Edna. Have fun with those cakes. Can't wait to see the photos.

It's so empty here I can hear an echo. lol

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:08pm
post #1264 of 1405

Thanks Grace..Now my break is over!.. icon_lol.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:10am
post #1265 of 1405

Finished my wedding cake..... they loved it and I booked another who was there! icon_lol.gif Luau Engagement party/save the date party and also her wedding next year!! Woohoo!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:11am
post #1266 of 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

Finished my wedding cake..... they loved it and I booked another who was there! icon_lol.gif Luau Engagement party/save the date party and also her wedding next year!! Woohoo!!

That is so cool, Martha! I'm proud of ya! icon_wink.gif

I can't wait until I'm legal and can advertise and all. I just wish it wasn't such a complicated chain of events (and expensive!!!!).

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:14am
post #1267 of 1405

I know how ya feel Grace. I thought I was gonna be legal here soon, but it is taking alot longer than I thought. So for now I am gonna just fly under the radar and hope for the best till I can get licensed.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:31am
post #1268 of 1405

I understand the need for keeping food-related business up to snuff and all, Jennifer, but they really don't make it easy or seem to want to encourage food-related business to even start up. It's very frustrating.

Also, I'm always afraid of "getting caught" so I really don't 'encourage' anyone from purchasing cakes from me, which is also extremely frustrating. I'd love to tell someone, "Sure, give me all your information and I'll quote you a price", but I always hem and haw and let them know that I don't have a license and all, and I think they read the underlying message that I really don't want to do it - but they never read the under-underlying message that I want to do it, but I just don't want to get caught doing it! lol Does that make sense?

Batter-UpBakery Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:46am
post #1269 of 1405

Definitly, I completely understand. I havent advertised yet, but I have had a couple of calls from people who were referred to me by mutual friends, so i have sold a couple of cakes. Also my husbands boss who knows im not legal has basically contracted me to bake for her and deliver to companies they do business (oilfield companies) for every week. its just so frustrating trying to become a full fledged business.

marthajo1 Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:47am
post #1270 of 1405

Totally!! I also had to turn down several orders....I hated sending people to my competition! But it wasn't worth the risk to me....

here is a link to my newest cake.....pictures are lousy-camera phone!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1226997

Batter-UpBakery Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:49am
post #1271 of 1405

Hey Grace how hard was it to cover the pillow cake you did? I have been wanting to try one but I was kinda scared icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

Batter-UpBakery Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:50am
post #1272 of 1405

I left you a comment Martha. I absolutly love that cake!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:27am
post #1273 of 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhitman18

Hey Grace how hard was it to cover the pillow cake you did? I have been wanting to try one but I was kinda scared icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

I'm pretty sure I tried it both ways: covering bottom and top using two pieces of fondant and then covering over the seem with a fondant twist or braid. And the other way, "normally" with one piece over the whole cake. I'm pretty sure the first way worked better as far as having a neater finish and less to hide and cover up.

I find it so amazing sometimes how much I forget once I finish a cake and I keep telling myself to keep a cake diary, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:10pm
post #1274 of 1405
Quote:

Totally!! I also had to turn down several orders....I hated sending people to my competition! But it wasn't worth the risk to me....

here is a link to my newest cake.....pictures are lousy-camera phone!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1226997

Good Mornin' ya'll.... Wonderful job on that cake marthajo... you said the fondant was homemade... what recipe do you use? It looks very smooth... great work..

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:25pm
post #1275 of 1405

Good Morning guys!!!! Beautiful morning here in good ole Ky icon_smile.gif

Wasn't going to have much to do but 1 cake this weekend.. and now I have one to make for tonight!!! Thank goodness I have 2 frozen rounds icon_wink.gif .....

Hope all is well icon_smile.gif

Grace I received your mail and will respond I promise icon_biggrin.gif .. and so will DD when she gets her chores done.

CakesByLJ Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1276 of 1405

Mornin' Ky..... icon_biggrin.gif
So, what kind of cake are you doing today?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:54pm
post #1277 of 1405

Hi, All!

Thanks, Christi. I realized later on that you do indeed have my new e-mail address. Sorry. For some reason the base-/softball coaches keep sending everything to my old e-mail address and now my husband (when he remembers) has to forward me all their e-mails. How difficult is it to change an address in an e-mail list?

marthajo1 Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #1278 of 1405

Morrange">ning Everange">ryone!range">!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Good Mornin' ya'll.... Wonderful job on that cake marthajo... you said the fondant was homemade... what recipe do you use? It looks very smooth... great work..

Thanks! I use Toba's recipe, with double the vanilla, and almost double the glycerin. I have made it so many times now that I get really consistent results and it is never chewy (like the one time I tried mmf)

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:57pm
post #1279 of 1405
Quote:

Morrange">ning Everange">ryone!range">!!

Quote:

Thanks! I use Toba's recipe, with double the vanilla, and almost double the glycerin. I have made it so many times now that I get really consistent results and it is never chewy (like the one time I tried mmf)

I'm going to have to try this recipe (after I use up the two batches of MMF that I made and have more than half left over). Would you mind PM'g me with the recipe, Martha? No rush.

marthajo1 Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:05pm
post #1280 of 1405

Grace--I will but I will also post it here for anyone else...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2127-Toba-Garretts-fondant.html

Some suggestions....

USE THE GOOD SUGAR!!! I didn't one time and it tasted awful and had terrible grainy texture!!

Do not use all the PS to begin with, you can always add more if you need it but you might not need it all.

I usually do not sift my PS because kneading it seems to take out all the lumps.

I mix with a wooden spoon until it gets too hard and then I put PS on my hands (not shortening) and start to knead it- I do everything in the big bowl I start in so my counter doesn't get as messy.

I add a handful of sugar at a time as needed until my hands don't stick when I push them into the fondant. Then I grease my hands with shortening and pickup the ball rub the fondant with it and wrap really well in saran. It will be soft but should NOT be sticky!

GL-- I will try and do a photo tutorial on making it if I can next time.....

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:34pm
post #1281 of 1405

Thanks for both, Martha! icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:39pm
post #1282 of 1405
Quote:

Thanks.. I use Toba's recipe also, but find it a little soft and challenging when covering big cakes... The taste is wonderful though. Why do you add extra glygerin?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:54pm
post #1283 of 1405

Okay, this thread still has a few more good hours left and I intend to use them. lol

How's everyone doing today? Are we almost ready to post the the winners (and let the cat out of the bag as to who's cake is whom's)?

CakesByLJ Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:59pm
post #1284 of 1405

Hey there Grace......... I've been waiting patiently all week to see the unveiling... can I hear a drum roll in the distance?? icon_lol.gif

Batter-UpBakery Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:00pm
post #1285 of 1405

LOL Grace, I was sure hoping the winners would be posted this morning!!

Guess I will have to check back in a little while, got a cake in the oven.

Anybody got any fun plans for the weekend?

CakesByLJ Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:02pm
post #1286 of 1405

Well, I went out last night ... girls night out............ to dinner and then to see Sex and The City............ laughed and cried then laughed and cried icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif really good movie....

Batter-UpBakery Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:05pm
post #1287 of 1405

sound like you have a great time!

DH finally came home yesterday so we spent the night in lol

now im making my nephews bday cake for his party later. can't wait to see him dig into it, he just turned one hehe

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:13pm
post #1288 of 1405
Quote:

Well, I went out last night ... girls night out............ to dinner and then to see Sex and The City............ laughed and cried then laughed and cried icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif really good movie....

Cool. Sounds like you had a good evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhitman18

.......DH finally came home yesterday so we spent the night in lol ........

Sounds like you had the same evening as Laura! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Have fun making your nephew's cake!

CakesByLJ Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:17pm
post #1289 of 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Sounds like you had the same evening as Laura! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I was thinking the same thing Grace....... their own version of dinner and sex and the city............ icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_redface.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:17pm
post #1290 of 1405

I believe the TDs are suppose to terminate at 10 am Pacific Time, but I can be wrong. For some reason, that's what I seem to remember reading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%