Need Advice About A "client"(Long)

Business By chrissysconfections Updated 8 May 2008 , 6:07pm by vdrsolo

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:09am
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB

There is no way she sent the first MONEY ORDER. You don't just "out of hand" say, oh, I sent a money order, I'll send you another one. You have to pay cash for a money order, so "sending you another one" would end up costing her $90 for the cake, and that's hard to believe she would pay that, when she ordered right off, the cheapest one offerred.

She's jerking your chain, write it off. I'd be willing to bet there's no $45.

Hubby was a banker for 25 years and some of that time was spent as a "loan adjuster" (aka re-po man). I had the same situation once ... bride claimed she mailed a money order. Hubby said the "I sent a money order" was a big excuse he heard a LOT during his repo days. A money order cant' have a stop payment issued on it.

On the kinds of money orders that you make out yourself, a person can fill it out payable to Cater It Simple, tear apart the carbons, and now they have a "copy" of the money order they sent to me. However, they can also flip that money order over and endorse it "Not used for intended purpose", cash it and keep the money. So eventually, they show me "I have a copy of the money order to show I sent it to you" and if I check, I find the money order was cashed.

If you accept money orders via mail, I'd strongly make it a requirement that it must be mailed certified so it can be traced.

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:42am
post #32 of 34

Don't give her another chance. It's too many coincidences that two money orders would be lost and she would suddenly become sick with all of those symptoms all at once. Sounds like a lie. If two money orders really did get lost in the mail, you would think she would be a little more surprised/aplogetic/something!

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:27pm
post #33 of 34

Here's an update:
DH said to give her another week since she was hospitalized (SIL confirms this) so I told her she had until this Friday to send payment...no more exceptions! She emailed Monday for my mailing adress again; said she "lost" it. I emailed it back along with a note asking her to let me know when she sends this one out so we can "track" it better then that last one. No response. I email last night to see if she got the email and this was her response:

"yes I got the email I am waiting to hear from my pregnant sister .. the baby shower is for her and she is having some problems so she may not be coming home now for the shower so I may not need the cake after all .. She lives in VIrginia and her fiance is in the navy and he just got sent out on ship so we may end up canceling the baby shower due to them not being able to come in for it .. "

Though the last straw came for me a week ago, DH said enough is enough so I emailed her the following:

"I'm sorry to hear that your sister is having problems and that you may have to cancel her shower. Since the date is so late now I do not believe the money would get here by the deadline if you do not cancel the shower . If I recieve the money and you end up having to cancel later you will forfiet the cost as per the contract. I think it's best to just cancel the order at this time before any costs/payments are incurred. If I can be of any assistance in the future please feel free to contact me again.

Thank you for your interest in my cakes and I wish you and you sister all the best!"

I've decided to be "booked" anytime any of my SIL friends request cakes. Remember this was supposed to be one of the GOOD ones!!

Thanks everyone for your advice.....it's definitely a mistake I don't intend on making again!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:07pm
post #34 of 34

sounds like this gal is a real drama queen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%