Would Like To Make Wasc (Chocolate)???

Decorating By cocobean Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm by anku

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 15

I would like to make the WASC cake chocolate version. The recipe says, " For chocolate cake: use chocolate mixes and substitute 6 whole eggs for the egg whites". It doesn't say anything about adding cocoa powder in place of some of the flour when you make the chocolate. Doesn't this cake need (extra) cocoa powder added for the chocolate? And shouldn't it take place of some of the white flour??? icon_confused.gif Doesn't seem like it would be chocolatey enough after all the additions of flour and sugar if you don't add some cocoa powder! Please advise if you can. Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

14 replies
cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 15

I thought the same thing the first time I made the Chocolate version of WASC so I put about 3 tablespoons full of cocoa with the Devil's Food cake mix. It was OK, but not anything like a chocolate overboard. I've heard of people on here (recently) use a fudge type of cake mix and really like it. I haven't tried that yet.

I'd like to hear what some other people have used too.

cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 15

It's me again. I'm ready to mix the batter. Would really love the help. Don't know whether to omit the cocoa powder or add some to the recipe on top of all other ingredients or add some cocoa powder and omit some white flour??? Please advise!

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 15

I didn't see the part of the recipe that talked about chocolate cake. is it in the recipe section here? I just did the exact same recipe, except I did use whole eggs and I subsituted vanilla for the almond extract. My mom thinks it's the best chocolate cake she ever had. icon_lol.gif It was pretty good. icon_smile.gif Not fudgey, per se, but still a good tasting chocolate cake. I thought so, anyhow!

cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 15

I got the recipe from Recipezaar. White Almond Sour Cream Wedding Cake. It tells how to make the same recipe in a bunch of other flavors and sizes.

Tootall Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 15

Oh neat! Thank you! I'll have to check that out! icon_smile.gif I've just been changing the flavors of cake mix and the extract I use. By the way, strawberry cake mix with strawberry extract and this recipe... My favorite so far! thumbs_up.gif

TaylorMadeSweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaylorMadeSweetz Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 15

Ok guys, I'm still a newbie and haven't quite learned all the CC language. I know this may sound silly but what is WASC?

Tootall Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 15

It's the White Almond Sour Cream recipe you can find in the recipes section here icon_smile.gif I tried it for the first time a couple of months ago and I LOVE it! icon_biggrin.gif

cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 15

White almond sour cream cake. I need to change mine to White Butter sour cream cake because I add butter flavor instead of the almond!

TaylorMadeSweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaylorMadeSweetz Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 15

OH OK! lol! Thanks! I'll have to try it!

cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 15

...still looking for answer to original question! icon_smile.gif

Tootall Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 15

I tried it with the whole eggs and without adding any cocoa in place of the flour and my mom said it was the best chocolate cake she'd ever had icon_smile.gif It had a good chocolate flavor. I always us betty crocker chocolate fudge, or whatever it's called. icon_smile.gif

cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks tootall, but I did decide to add 1/2 cup cocoa powder and omit 1/4 cup white flour. I hope it turns out. I've had nothing but problems today!!! I'm just getting antsie (sp) because the day is going by so fast. I hate " baking" " the cake" part of cake decorating!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Tootall Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 15

Yeah, I don't like that part, either! Or making the icing. I just want to get to the fun part! icon_biggrin.gif Let us know how it turns out! icon_smile.gif I'm curious!!

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm
post #15 of 15

I don't know if I'm late...but I make the WASC chocolate version all the time. I leave everything the same AND add 1/4 or little more cup coco powder and a box of chocolate pudding.

Taste great and chocolatty. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%