Can You Freeze Egg Whites And Still Use Them In A Cake?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 1 May 2008 , 12:50am by debster

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 8

After freezing then defrosting egg whites can I still use them in my cake batter? I don't want to have any more disasters today. icon_sad.gif I already have to start a cake all over. Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 8

I also was wondering about this, they had a good sale on eggs this week and I was wondering could you freeze them in batches for cakes????? I'm waiting with you on this one.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 8

Yes you can. I've done it several times. I've also used defrosted whites to make SMBC. You should be fine.

debster Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 8

Can you freeze the whole egg minus the shell for a cake mix.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 8

I should think so. I've frozen both egg yolk and egg whites separately before (depending on what I was using at the time), and they've been perfectly fine.

The egg yolks I ended up making curds with - yum...or just adding them to a quiche.

The egg whites usually end up in an angel food cake or SMBC.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 8

I freeze both whites and yolks (seperately) all the time. They cook just fine. I use my ice cube trays to hold them in until they are frozen and then I transfer to a ziptop bag. The ice cube trays hold 1 white in 2 spaces and the yolk in one so I always know who many to pull out for a recipe.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 8

From the Georgia Egg Commission:

WHITES Break and separate the eggs, one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets in the whites. Pour them into freezer containers, seal tightly, label with the number of egg whites and the date, and freeze. For faster thawing and easier measuring, first freeze each white in an ice cube tray and then transfer to a freezer container.

YOLKS Egg yolks require special treatment. The gelation property of yolk causes it to thicken or gel when frozen. If frozen as is, egg yolk will eventually become so gelatinous it will be almost impossible to use in a recipe. To help retard this gelation, beat in either 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or corn syrup per 1/4 cup egg yolks (4 yolks). Label the container with the number of yolks, the date, and whether you've added salt (for main dishes) or sweetener (for baking or desserts).

WHOLE EGGS Beat just until blended, pour into freezer containers. seal tightly, label with the number of eggs and the date, and freeze.

I have successfully frozen and used whites and yolks using this information, but I have never tried the whole eggs.

debster Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:50am
post #8 of 8

Wow, thanks for all the information. You do learn something new each day!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%