Calling All Massachusetts Bakers...

Business By Moniquea Updated 1 May 2008 , 12:49pm by Moniquea

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 4


I just started decorating for family and friends and am eager to do a little advertising (as I'm running out of people to make cakes for icon_lol.gif ) but when I called the board of health I was shut down immediately with 'It is ILLEGAL to sell any food made from you home in the state of MA. PERIOD.'

Still in the past two days I contacted two seperate bakers that do it from their home. I know MA allows 'farm' kitchens but I don't own a farm. Does it depend on the county?

I'm confused?! icon_confused.gif Can anyone enlighten me? I want to do this the right way.

Best wishes! -M

3 replies
vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:39am
post #2 of 4

Call the board of health! Home baking is allowed but there are some stipulations...My license cost me $100 plus I have to get my kitchen inspected (haven't done that yet). Good luck!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 4

It is legal but some towns just don't want to deal with it.

Used to be in Framingham they would just say no, but I sm working with someone right now to try to get it done.

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks! I'm gonna call my Health Dept. again after I call from the state level. I hope its allowed where live icon_cry.gif

I'll update soon thumbs_up.gif -M

Quote by @%username% on %date%