How To Move To The Next Level

Decorating By kidscakelady Updated 1 May 2008 , 1:16pm by Petit-four

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there fellow CC'ers.

I haven't posted anything on here in a long time. I check out the wonderful work almost everyday but haven't posted in ages. This is such a wonderfully inspirational site. I am looking for some advise.

I am feeling like I am in a rut. I start out with the best of ideas for my cakes and they always seem to end up looking very amaturish (sp?)and the same old same old (know what I mean?) . icon_confused.gif I have been getting tons of orders lately and have been busy. My customers are pleased with the look and taste of their cakes but I look at all of the wonderful cakes here and wonder why I can't get mine up to the level of perfection that I see here. I have taken a couple of classes and done well with them. I prefer to work with butercream- fondont and I are arch enemies icon_lol.gif

Any suggestions on how to step it up a notch?? I have been asked to do a wedding in July and don't want to disappoint.

Any help- support- encouragement- and honest critiques are most welcome-

TIA

Kidscakelady

3 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 4

I looked at your photos -- and wow!-- I think you are a tremendous cake decorator.

My only thoughts would be:
1) (Very) advanced classes.
2) Try new products and techniques-- like, how about making RI leaves, and then painting them with gold luster-dust? (I was thinking of your beautiful 50th anniversary cake - I wasn't sure if you made the leaves or not).
3) Like learning a musical masterpiece, find a picture of a challenging cake you love, study it, and then copy it - exactly. Force yourself to do what the other artist did as practice. Then it becomes part of how you think, and you will apply it to other cakes.
4) You might want to teach classes yourself (if you don't already) - most teachers find that they begin to "think outside the box" when they interact with others.

But, again, you are such a pro! Your cakes are quite lovely. Hope this helps a little. icon_smile.gif

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:50am
post #3 of 4

Thaks Petit-four. I didn't post this looking for praise or anything. I honestly feel that I could be/should be doing more advanced work at this stage of the game. I have been unable to find any advanced classes here and honestly have been mostly self taught. Certainly don't look at myself as the pro that you said. I know that my cakes are nice and they taste good too (really important) Was just wondering what else I could do do up my game a little. I have already learned so much from the wonderful people here on CC.
THank you for taking the time to look at my work and offering suggestions.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 4

Oh, you're welcome! My comments are truly sincere. There is a recent thread discussing books, and since you are self-taught, maybe you'd want to get some of them. I don't know if you do gumpaste work, I am hoping to try it myself.

Here's the book thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-584156.html

Happy decorating! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%