Whipped Icing Wedding Cake?

Decorating By KittyDumDum Updated 1 May 2008 , 1:39pm by cakemommy

KittyDumDum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyDumDum Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 6

I have a bride that would like to use whipped icing (NOT whipped cream) on her wedding cake because she doesnt like how sweet buttercream is. My problem: the wedding is in June in Texas...its like 110 degrees =/ and she wants decorations on it...but any whipped icing I've ever used before at home is really finicky and tends to ooze down the cake after a day or so...would it even support fondant flowers ringed around the top? (penny sized or so) ...I'm trying to talk her out of it, but I just thought I'd check and see if anyone has any good whipped frosting recipe that might support both the weather and decorations.

Thanks!

5 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 6

Holy cow! I made a post about a whipped icing recipe a week or so ago. So far everyone has recommended using a hi-ratio shortening recipe like WBH Buttercream. I am waiting on my Sweetex to show up so I can give it a try. I have a huge order due the middle of May and for the same reason, they want a less sweet and light frosting.

I have stressed over this like crazy. Every whipped icing recipe I have found requires refrigeration. I can not refrigerate two cakes to feed 150 and a 3 tiered cake. That just can't happen. They won't change their minds about the frosting either.

I think you will have better luck changing your bride's mind. She should definately know that a whipped frosting will not hold at all in 100 plus temps. Is the reception going to be inside and air conditioned? That might be the deciding factor.

Amy

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 6

Even if the reception is indoors just getting the cake from you to them is going to be a problem in temps like that! Yah, your car can be ac'd but it still won't be enough.....ask me how I know?

Now, YOU are the professional. YOU tell her NO - can't be done. Refuse the order if you cannot talk sense into her. It's all about your reputation.

cakemommy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 6

DUH!!! Forgot about the transportation! Yeah! Not gonna happen! A bride does have a right to have what she requests, any body does for that matter but it is up to the professionals such as yourself to explain what will and won't work pending the conditions.

Amy

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:56am
post #5 of 6

I use Frostn Pride and Pastry Pride non-whipped products. In CA we buy them at Smart and Final. They come in liquid form frozen. Just thaw, dump into your mixer and beat at a low to med speed till the bowl fills. The taste is less sweet than B/C and light in texture like whipped cream. Very similar to Rich's Bettercreme. Cheers

cakemommy Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 6

I would love to try either of those but they are not available where I live unfortunately. Life would be so much easier if I could get it locally! icon_rolleyes.gif

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%