Refridgerating Fondant And Cake Filling...

Decorating By galaciel21 Updated 1 May 2008 , 6:13am by psanders76

galaciel21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaciel21 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 4

I'm sorry if this has been posted many times before...

I am making a cake for my friend's Birthday and decided that I wanted to try using the Marshmallow Fondant recipe I have found.

I was wanting to do a strawberry and custard filling in the cake but I have read that you really shouldn't refridgerate fondant once its on the cake due to condensation. I obviously don't care about it messing up once its been cut into and what not but, I was wanting to have the cake assembled and ready to go before the little get together we're having for her. Would it just be best to put it together maybe a couple hours before its served so it doesn't have to go in the fridge or should I just skip the filling altogether?

Thanks =o)

3 replies
cakekiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekiller Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 4

I refrigerated my first wedding cake, which contained a French buttercream (i.e., tons of butter). Temperatures were on the rise, and I was afraid that the buttercream would melt. So I refrigerated the cake tiers.

Before assembling and decorating on the morning of the wedding, I removed the cakes from the refrigerator and set a fan on them to whisk away any condensation. All in all, it worked very well. Next time, I'd use multiple fans. It takes several hours for the fondant to dry out, so plan accordingly.

I've also read that putting the cakes in a (sealed) cardboard box with some desiccant taped to the inside top works, but I have not tried this method. The fans work so well, I'm sticking with that process. [Refrigerating the cakes the first time was a risky enough endeavor for me!]

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:22am
post #3 of 4

Hi and Welcome, galaciel21. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Congratulations on your 1st post, cakekiller. thumbs_up.gif

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:13am
post #4 of 4

Hi,

I have made a couple of MMF covered cakes and refrigerated them for the next day and so far I've had no problem.

Good luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%