Anyone Use Bakers/bread Flour In Their Cookies?

Baking By amastercreation Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 8:47pm by amastercreation

amastercreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amastercreation Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:32am
post #1 of 4

I was in such a hurry today and accidently picked up a 5 lbs bag of bread flour. I researched online and they say bread flour is also a white flour, but with higher protein & gluten levels than all purpose flour. just curious to see if anyone has tried replacing bread flour for their cookies, and if so, did they come out ok?

Thanks In Advance

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:46am
post #2 of 4

Your cookies will probably be more "chewy" using bread flour instead of AP:

All purpose flour is made from a mixture of hard and soft wheats. The gluten content ranges from 9-12%.

This is the most versatile flour because it can be used to make both cakes and breads. However, breads won't be as chewy and cakes won't be as tender as if you used bread or cake flour.

HTH

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:53am
post #3 of 4

There is a noticeable difference. You can get a moister, chewier cookie if you substitute a portion, or all of the all-purpose flour with bread flour. It will also absorb more liquid because of the higher protein content.

A lot depends upon the recipe you are using and how you add the bread flour. If you over-work itâ¦the dough will get very elastic.

amastercreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amastercreation Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 4

thanks for the response. I would be using the flour in NFSC recipe and my drop cookies so this saved me from wasting time and money.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%