Painting On Fondant !!! Help!

Decorating By fondantfrenzy Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm by fondantfrenzy

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:53am
post #1 of 9

icon_cry.gif How do you paint on fondant. Now matter what I do or dry my painting always looks gross. I see all these people on here say, Oh i painted the fondant, and I am thinking to myself....this looks amazing, why does mine look like barf. Any ideas or tips? HELP i am desperate..thanks in advance for your help!!!

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:02am
post #2 of 9

It would help to know what you are using.

Gel color?
luster dust with alcohol?

fondantfrenzy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:07am
post #3 of 9

Actually I tried Luster Dust, I also tried Gel and I tried Flow paste.

I know I am not artistic, but this is ridiculous. I am not even trying to make a design, i am just trying to paint something one solid color. I have a tiny oriental lantern that I am trying to paint...and it looks YUCKY!!!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:17am
post #4 of 9

To get something a solid color can be difficult, especially if it is a large area. You may need to paint it twice. Make your drawing in a light 'paint' to mark your pattern, then re-paint it using color.

With dust, put a small amount of dust in a small container, then add alcohol a drop at a time until it is liquid enough to paint.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:25am
post #5 of 9

I use airbrush colors...they sold a multi-pack, either 8 or 10 colors (2 oz, each) at the cake dec. store for under $20. Dilute with vodka and go to town....it is cheaper then the gels and pastes and easier to work with, IMHO, of course. That is what I used for the painted cookie in my avatar and other stuff too...... just relax and play with it, have fun icon_smile.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 9

I have the book "CakeWalk" by Margaret Braun, and she uses food coloring, not the paste!!!! She has a cake in that book that my daughter wants for her wedding and the bottom half of the tier is painted blue, my daughter's color is Tiffany Blue, and I sure would like to know how to come up with that color of paint. I am probably just going to use fondant that color, because it has a RI bead border around the middle separating colors I think it will be fine. Anyway, after that long rant, I have painted with gel pastes, but then always stay pretty tacky and I thinned the color with vodka.

fondantfrenzy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 9

I tried all that already. The thing I am trying to paint is fondant I put in a mold and its got a shiney surface, bcuase I sprayed the mold with cooking spray, do you tink that has something to do with it? Do you guys think i should put some starch or something on it? It is bad enough i am not even artistic to begin with. icon_cry.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 9

The cooking spray might be causing a problem, I would dust your mold with cornstarch instead of cooking spray. Can you start over or are you out of time?

fondantfrenzy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 9

I am making the stuff from now, I am half way done, I will try that with the next ones. The ones tht I did, what if i airbush them, then paint over the fine details with another color? For example the lantern make it Gold, then the chinese writing paint black?

Also what would you say is the best method? The vodka and paste, vodkla and food coloring, vodka and gel?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%