Traveling Decorators...how Do U Fly W/your Tips And Stuff?

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 8:11pm by Auryn

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 25

I'm heading back home for my mom's 75th birthday and she wants me to make her cake...gladly, but she gave me all her tips and such so she doesn't have any there, which means I have to bring all my stuff. I'll be flying and would love to carry-on my tool box, but will they let you? In my tool box will be my icing color, tips, bags, etc. I can leave my flower nails at home. I'm petrified to check them in. Can I carry them on the plane? I also am afraid to ship them in fear the one time something of mine gets lost in the mail, it would be with my tips and things. icon_lol.gif

So, what do you do?

24 replies
sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 25

I don't know about the tips. I'm sure the bags are OK. But the icing colors... there is a rule about liquid not being over a certain size, which I don't think you should have a problem with, but I would probably buy new ones where I was going. If they are new and still sealed (new) I'd check them with my bags.

sorry I don't know about the tips. Funny, I wouldn't consider those a weapon, but what about your spatula?

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 25

Sorry I can not give you an answer but I'm doing my mother in laws wedding cake this aug, so I'll need to know if I can carry on for then or not!

Tendaroni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tendaroni Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 25

What if you overnight/FedEx the package there with the insurance-just in case it gets lost you'll get reimbursed for having to re-purchase your supplies. That way you can send what you need safely. Just an idea!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 25

I would call the airline you are flying on an ask them what htey allow and do not allow.

You could always check it, but if you are worried about that, I'd ship it a head of time, that way if it gets lost you can have a back up plan in place. I always feel if I have a back up plan I'm less likely to need it. icon_smile.gif

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 25

Last summer I just put everything in my tool box and packed that into my oversized bag and then checked it onto the plane. I had no problems...but I am naturally an optimist who anticipates a good outcome! Fed ex would be my second choice if I was worried about delivery. Unlike the airlines, Fedex would ACTUALLY reimburse you in full for the insured amount if they lost your package...what fun to buy all new equipment! The airlines on the other hand would rather cut off its own nose before paying anyone more than they could get away with! My husband's very nice leather hanging bag (worth about $300+) was MUTILATED and shredded by an airline and they gave him $75!!! Appalling!

Trixyinaz Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 25

Duh, now why didn't I think of calling the airlines....LOL. I guess I can FedEx it if I have to. It would be fun to buy all new things..hehehehe.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 25

great post, I was wondering the same thing since I have cake camp in July!

Trixyinaz Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 25

I called Southwest. If any of them are sharp or have sharp edges, you cannot bring them on the plane icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif I guess I'll have to fork over some money and ship them to my mom's or check them in. I just don't trust checking them in and with having to bring a car seat, my luggage and my daughter's luggage, shipping them ahead of time is sounding better and better. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 25

I was going to say that you can just pack them up and put them under the plane. You just can't bring them in the plane with you. Just wrap them up well and they should be fine.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 25

Also be very careful about what the airlines say they will allow. I have had United tell me my IV was okay but then TSA did not want to let me through with a pump and a bag of fluid (even with a note). I told them that United said it was okay but TSA said that didn't matter and it was their decision. I finally got on but I had to get a supervisor and it took a whole lot of battles before I could get through, so based on that experience I would FedEx as I don't trust the airlines with important luggage like that.

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 25

Do you know what the cake design will be? What if you choose a design that only requires a couple of tips. If you only have to bring 3-4 with you, they should be fine in the checked baggage. And if for some reason the luggage doesn't arrive, the cost of the 3-4 tips would probably be less than shipping by fedex. If you're looking at bringing all of your tips, fedex might be the way to go.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:20pm
post #13 of 25

I think if you packed them well in a separate box and put them in your luggage you will be fine.
Edna

Nette2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nette2007 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 25

Last year i packaged my tips, colors, decorating bags with my (check-in) suitcase...I even had my wilton leveler in my suitcase....a sticker/note was placed on my suitcase letting me know that it was searched..other than that everything was still in the luggage....

mommycakediva Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:00pm
post #15 of 25

now I'm wondering what I should do for aug. good thing I have awhile to think about it! I will weigh the options

Trixyinaz Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:21pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartcake

Do you know what the cake design will be? What if you choose a design that only requires a couple of tips. If you only have to bring 3-4 with you, they should be fine in the checked baggage. And if for some reason the luggage doesn't arrive, the cost of the 3-4 tips would probably be less than shipping by fedex. If you're looking at bringing all of your tips, fedex might be the way to go.

That's my other problem. I have no idea what I want to do. Something simple, but crazy and fun. I would love to try a topsy turvey cake. I'm scouring the galleries tring to come up with something.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:32pm
post #17 of 25

Have you tried a topsy turvy before? I do topsy turvys all the time. And I wouldnt want to do them in anybody elses kitchen. For some reason I feel so out of my element when I am working in somebody elses kitchen!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:12am
post #18 of 25

I was wondering what the policy was regarding carrying tips on board here in the US.

In my class recently was a woman from England, who told us that at Heathrow, they told her she could not carry her tips in her luggage (not on board, but in baggage), and confiscated them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:06am
post #19 of 25

I think that these are your basic options: (at least what I can think of at this hour...)

a) go thru my supplies and take out only the essentials and place them in a plastic container, seal it up and put it into my checked luggage. You could always put some bubble wrapper in to protect all of your stuff!
b) send via fed-ex
c) buy some when I got to my destination
d) buy some supplies on-line with perhaps free shipping as an option

HTH

Have a great night everyone!

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:38am
post #20 of 25

funny because I was having the same dilemma. I have at least two of each tip so I plan on shipping it up north and purchasing pans and sending it back when i'm done. I always wondered how it was done. I know that some people drive instead of fly because you can take anything with you but it is more time consuming and just as expensive depending on the distance.

mommycakediva Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:52pm
post #21 of 25

That would be terrible if all my stuff got confiscated. So I will def. be looking into sending it! Or making some flowers ahead of time and bringing them!

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #22 of 25

Another thing to keep in mind is airline employees have a guideline as to what to tell people they're allowed. Airlines don't decide what goes on the plane or not, it's the airport security (which is why 2 airlines may give different info). Plus it also depends on the security worker.. some are a lot pickier than others. A friend of mine had 4 flights in total, 2 there, 2 back and she brought little tiny sewing scissors which no one said anything about until her last flight. Going through security at the last checkpoint didn't like them, and confiscated. So even if you make it through security there, there is a chance another security worker on the way back doesn't like the look of them and takes them. (and don't try arguing that they let you on the way down.. then they'll strip search you!)

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:14pm
post #23 of 25

Also keep in mind that fedex has several options other than overnight to save on shipping costs.

Judi

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:36pm
post #24 of 25

I packed my entire Wilton caddy with tips, tools, bags, brushes, coloring, leveler,spatulas, etc....slam full and put it inside an empty styrofoam fish box (made for carrying frozen fish on airplanes) along with some clothes when I went to Alaska last summer so I could do a wedding cake.

I was curious what would happen but wasn't worried. Sure enough the NTSB people opened the box to check it and I'm quite sure it was because the x-ray machine showed my supplies. They put in a note saying it was opened by them to check and they retaped the box up and that was that. No problems.

KimAZ

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:11pm
post #25 of 25

you dont have to fed ex
you can send them priority mail with usps
just use a flat rate box and itll cost you $8, $10 with insurance and it will get there in 3 days max

I ship everything priority and have never had a problem
I've ordered fresh fertile eggs to put in my incubator- they are always shipped priority and never had a problem- no broken eggs

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%