Which Is Stronger For Figures? Marzipan Or Fondant?

Decorating By elvis Updated 1 May 2008 , 12:09am by elvis

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 3

I've never worked with marzipan-- for modeling figures, is it stronger than fondant? How does it compare? I know that gum paste is the strongest, and that is what I use most often...but I wish it were edible. Hoping to find an alternative in marzipan.

Also, I just saw online "white marzipan" --didn't know there was such a thing. Thought all marzipan was brown. Anway, anyone out there use marzipan for modeling?

2 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 3

I like marzipan for modeling - not that I do what would be considered recognizable modeling icon_lol.gif - and I also like chocolate or candy clay. Humidity is a killer here, and I find that those two mediums hold better than fondant and taste better as well. Gumpaste is the best, but even well-dried gumpaste will wilt within a couple of days here in the summer. Fondant just never hardens. The marzipan and clay will usually hold shape and form for me. I did buy modeling marzipan from a pastry supplier - apparently there are different grades of marzipan with different sugar ratios and different "sizes" of ground almond particles.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:09am
post #3 of 3

thanks a lot for the info- i didn't realize that there are different grades....something to experiment with i guess!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%