Mini Cakes... Pita Fee?? Just Kidding. What Do You Charge?

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm by peacockplace

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 9

I was just wondering how you charge for mini cakes, like a 4" and 2". They are such a pain! They only serve one or two, so charging by the serving is going to be way too cheap for all the work. Do any of you bother with these little buggers? How do charge for them.
Thanks a ton!

8 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 9

You'd have to charge by the hour wouldn't you? And I agree a PITA fee should apply. I only do them for special people that I would not charge anyway. Like my mom.

I'm sure others do them.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 9

I read somewhere on here that they charge between 15 and 30 for each. I guess it depends on how long it takes you and how much you want to make an hour?

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 9

I'm making my first mini cakes in 2 weeks and didn't think they would be difficult...now I'm starting to worry icon_surprised.gif I'm making 5 and I just charged enough to cover new pans to cook them in...hehehe. However I have seen online $10.00 per cake, I believe they were 3 or 4 inch cakes? So any tips on what I should prepare for?

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 9

about a month ago i did an enormous order for mini cakes for a wedding. by the time i was done, i vowed to never do them again! we did 54 3"/4" tiered cakes. i charged about $20 for each one, thinking that was going to make me some good money. now i understand how i should have charged:

$35 for each tiered cake, or about $7 per serving. make sure your at least double your per serving price!!

an additional $5 for each display board. ( i displayed each cake on a small drum covered with colorful paper and then contact paper, then ribbon around the bottom).

double the delivery charge because it took me two trips to deliver all those tiny cakes.

her new total would have been $2220.00. instead i charged her $1080, and at the end of te weekend i felt soooo ripped off for all the hours i spent!

shadow79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadow79 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 9

I am so glad you asked this question. I have 50, yes 50 of these to do this weekend. What have I gotten myself into???!!!!...lol
I have done them in the past, but not 50...I am just a hobbyist.
Anyways, in the past I think I charged $1.25 a piece for a 2x2 square. I based this off calling local bakeries. In my area, I found they charged around $1.50 a piece.

I would really like to see what others have to say about what to charge, because I want to know if I am charging too much or not?

I feel guilty about 1.25, but then again these things ARE a lot of work and by the time you cut the cake out of a whole cake there is always cake that does not get used since the measurements do not always work out exact when you do 2x2 (in my case) for a pan by the time you cut off the edges. To describe what I mean by "trimmings", see my petit four diagram in my photos. I usually have to by an extra batch of cake to make the amount of mini cakes (petit fours) that someone wants.

With all the above said, I still actually enjoy making these little things! icon_smile.gif

shadow79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadow79 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 9

ooppppss...after reading what everyone else posted, it looks like I misunderstood what you were asking about...so disregard my post.

I thought you were possibly asking about 2"x2" mini cakes also known as petit fours...

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 9

Mini cakes are the PITS!! I hate doing them so I charge a premium.. they start at $15. Freeze them before you ice them and use a skewer to keep it from scooting all over the turntable. The smaller the cake the harder it is to ice. If you are going to do fondant.. chill them after you ice and stack them and put the fondant on over them when they are stacked. Use a skewer as a central dowel.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all for your responses!!!

kristina67, it's not that they are hard. They are just way more time consuming than doing one large cake. Things in miniature are just taking longer because everything is smaller and more delicate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%