Seeking Advice On Freezing Cakes For Upcoming Weddings.

Decorating By vdrsolo Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Thanks i was wondering if the simple syrup may make the cake to moist since it has been in the freezer Do you serve your cakes? i was wondering how the BC icing is i mean is it really crusted or what?? Im worring for nothing i think Oh well its my friends daughters wedding and this is what she came up with to set it out at 9.00am

I never need or use simple syrup...so can't help you out...mine are already very moist.

I don't serve my cakes, my buttercream is a lighly crusting buttercream, just enough to be able to viva it or use impression mats.

You will be fine!!

Thanks im sure i will , i have never done the syrup thing either just read about it here, and my bc crusts lightly as well sounds like im ok Thank you for responding I will let every one know how i did, If i can figure out how to download some pics i will

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #32 of 34

One thing that I do, is that I allow the cakes to bake over the top of the pan about 1/2" or so, I fill the pans about 60% full. I use Magic Line pans so I get the full 2" of the pan plus the additional over the top.

This way, when I go to level the cake, just a little under 2", I get to take the top completely off. You know how those top edges can get a little bit "chewier" than the rest of the cake? That is all taken off.

Since I torte all of my cakes, this helps as well. There is filling in literally every bite of the cake.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:41pm
post #33 of 34

Forgot to mention...got my freezer yesterday!!! Woo hoo!!

Just an FYI to people....new Energy Star standards are coming out, and manufacturers have to comply to the new standards by sometime this summer (June, July, can't remember). Anyway, manufacturers are trying to unload the current models so the new ones can take their place.

I had read this in some forums while researching freezers, and was also told this by the person at the store (because I was asking him why there was a markdown in price, it showed the before and after price, I didn't even mention to him what I read!) He also said that the cost is only like $2 a year, so not that much different!

I was trying to decide between the largest Frigidaire and a Whirlpool and he told me that many of the Frigidaires get returned but the Whirlpool's had an excellent rep (which I had read as well...)

Anyway, the "before" price was $649.00, it was marked down to $598. They were having an additional 10% off any Energy Star Appliance sale. So I got it for $538.20.

Then....I had a 10% off any purchase coupon, so that knocked it down to $484.38.

As they were delivering it yesterday, I watched them accidently rub the bottom trim against the concrete. When they put it in it's final place, I inspected it, and pointed it out to them (there were 3 minor skuff/nick marks). I asked them if the store would give a discount for damage. He told me 10% and noted it on the delivery sheet (I got free delivery too by the way). He told me to go ahead and call the store and talk to the manager.

So I called the store, the manager looked up my info and the price paid, and said..I'll sell it for $400, would that be ok? I was like heck, yea!! So I went to the store to do a return/rebuy.

I looked on Whirlpool's website, didn't see my model number but saw the exact same freezer was almost exactly the same model number, except the lettering was slightly different, I'm assuming that it is the new Energy Star standard, and it lists for $749!!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Forgot to mention...got my freezer yesterday!!! Woo hoo!!

Just an FYI to people....new Energy Star standards are coming out, and manufacturers have to comply to the new standards by sometime this summer (June, July, can't remember). Anyway, manufacturers are trying to unload the current models so the new ones can take their place.

I had read this in some forums while researching freezers, and was also told this by the person at the store (because I was asking him why there was a markdown in price, it showed the before and after price, I didn't even mention to him what I read!) He also said that the cost is only like $2 a year, so not that much different!

I was trying to decide between the largest Frigidaire and a Whirlpool and he told me that many of the Frigidaires get returned but the Whirlpool's had an excellent rep (which I had read as well...)

Anyway, the "before" price was $649.00, it was marked down to $598. They were having an additional 10% off any Energy Star Appliance sale. So I got it for $538.20.

Then....I had a 10% off any purchase coupon, so that knocked it down to $484.38.

As they were delivering it yesterday, I watched them accidently rub the bottom trim against the concrete. When they put it in it's final place, I inspected it, and pointed it out to them (there were 3 minor skuff/nick marks). I asked them if the store would give a discount for damage. He told me 10% and noted it on the delivery sheet (I got free delivery too by the way). He told me to go ahead and call the store and talk to the manager.

So I called the store, the manager looked up my info and the price paid, and said..I'll sell it for $400, would that be ok? I was like heck, yea!! So I went to the store to do a return/rebuy.

I looked on Whirlpool's website, didn't see my model number but saw the exact same freezer was almost exactly the same model number, except the lettering was slightly different, I'm assuming that it is the new Energy Star standard, and it lists for $749!!

You got a deal Im thinking in the future i may purchase another one

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%