Seeking Advice On Freezing Cakes For Upcoming Weddings.

Decorating By vdrsolo Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm by cakebaker1957

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 34

My last two weeks in May is completely booked. Yes, it is possible for me to bake everything fresh like I normally do if I go on robot mode and lack of sleep!

I just bought an large upright freezer to dedicate to my cakes (grew up with a chest freezer...hated them!) because I really need to bake ahead of time.

I have seen mixed posts about how soon the cake should be placed in the freezer after baking.

My gut feeling is to let it cool before putting in the freezer. It seems to me that putting a warm cake in the freezer could cause ice crystals to form on the cake and may actually make it soggy upon thawing out.

I am planning on leveling and torting each layer before placing it in the freezer to save me time when I pull them out. Should I place wax paper between the torted layers? Some of the larger layers are so much easier to stack when cold and I was thinking that if I had something in between them this would allow me to be able to move them cold (not frozen).

How long does it normally take them to thaw, and I assume that I need to keep the plastic wrap on, right?

When I fill and crumb coat a cake, I always allow it to sit overnight, so I assume I won't have problems with any condensation buildup if any thawing is left to be done and potentially causing a bubble?

I feel like this is a complete newbie question but I've been decorating for over 12 years and have prided myself on all fresh cakes but things are just way too busy....plus reading all the freezing posts makes me feel really good about freezing them, since alot of people seem to think it actually makes the cake better!!

If it matters, I use doctored DH mixes with additional egg, pudding, and half buttermilk.

33 replies
lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 34

I have never frozen a very large cake for a wedding or anything like that. My largest was a 10" round. But they thaw very quickly for me. I just take them out sit them on the counter and wait for them to thaw, then unwrap them and get to work. Good luck with everything. I was looking into buying an upright freezer, but a family member has a chest freezer she is willing to give me, so I'm going to try to work with it since I won't have to spend more money.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 34

I'm also curious about this. I would love to start baking ahead of time so I'm not on "robot mode" for days on end. We also got an upright freezer and now that I have the extra freezer space, I'd like to know the ins and outs of freezing a cake. How long can I freeze it for? What specifically should I wrap it in before freezing? etc... icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 34

I freeze all the time and have no trouble. I wrap with double layers of plastic wrap and foil, but when possible I also use my food saver (obviously not an option for super large layers!).

I bake, cool, level and torte. I just put a piece of parchment in between the cuts. Then I wrap well and freeze. When I take them out, I remove the foil but not the plastic wrap. I just put them on the counter and them seem to defrost in just a few minutes (likely longer, but it doesn't seem to take much time at all). I like the layers to be chilled when I work with them, as it lessens the chance of cracking and breaking. It doesnt' seem to affect taste or texture or anything to work with them that way.

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 34

Yes there should be no problem wit freezing the cakes, I generally freeze all mine, because work 2 jobs and have very little time to work on them. When I do my cakes after they come out of the oven I let it cool in the pan for a few mins, then turn it out onto a cooling rack and let it cool completely. Then I would wrap it . If you want to torte them freeze if for about a hour them torte them, put parchment or wax paper in between and then wrap and put in freezer. Once you pull them out to decorate I would let them thaw a little before decorating. I brush almy cakes with simple syrup, just tomake sure that they are moist, I might work on a cake for 3 days and don't want it to taste dry. I've never had a problem wit a bubble. If you going t refreeze the ake after frosting, I wold let it come back to room temp before applying fondant or it won't stick. Good luck, wish I was super busy making cakes next month icon_biggrin.gif

vdrsolo Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 34

My layers will vary in size from 6 to 15 so I plan on double wrapping with the extra wide plastic wrap and then foil, and then of course writing on the outside which cake is for which wedding!!

My freezer will be delivered this afternoon....I am so excited!!

vdrsolo Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 34

I am planning on freezing the cake layers only, no filling or buttercream.

Normally I bake on early Thursday morning, allow the cakes to cool, then level, torte, fill, and crumbcoat Thursday afternoon-evening.

I then ice and decorate on Friday so I don't have anything to do (just in case) on Saturday except for delivery.

So my assumption is that I can just take the cakes out on Thursday morning and do my regular routine! (Without the mess of baking!)

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 34

Hi. I often freeze cakes and I agree that you must put parchment in between each layer and also must double wrap. I wanted to add that you should also put parchment between the cake and cake board as the cake will stick to the cake board after a freeze/thaw cycle. I also agree that you should let the cake cool completely first before wrapping. If you are going to stack the cakes in your freezer, let the bottom cake freeze first before putting the next cake on top so you do not smash your cakes. I would not stack more than two cakes high in the freezer. Good luck and I think it is good for you to be so busy. You must be excited.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 34

I also freeze all of my cakes due to time constraints and I concur with the PP's. I don't put in the freezer until cooled. Also, I had cakes in the freezer for about 2 weeks and then the party was postponed for another 4 weeks. So the cakes were frozen for about 6 weeks. I was definitely worried, but they were perfect and delicious on party day. One was a white cake and the other devils food. One other thing, I also freeze my buttercream everytime, which also thaws and tastes perfect. HTH

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 34

I never find that thawing takes long. I would only assume that if you have already torted, etc. it will go even quicker than had you placed the cakes in solid. In March, I had extra WASC batter and baked a 6" as the extra. After it cooled, I wrapped it and threw it in my upright thinking I would take it out a few days later and use it but never got around to needing it. Last week, my family was wanting "dessert" (like they don't get enough cake around here) so I thought, "Oh, well, I'll thaw that 6 inch." I torted it and filled and frosted with Strawberry Cream Cheese BC and it tasted like I had baked it that morning! I'd NEVER endorse freezing a cake that long, but it was good to know that it was not affected in flavor, texture, or freshness by having sat frozen for a month. : )

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:30pm
post #11 of 34

Oh, I must have been typing the same time joenshan was typing her testimony!!! Awesome to know you froze your cakes for up to six weeks and they were perfect! It's great to know these things because as we all know, things come up that cause us to have to think on our tippy-toes!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 34

What about making fondant ahead of time? I have a cake to do in two weeks along with two grooms cakes. I will be using all fondant. How long ahead of time and how do I store it?

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:51pm
post #13 of 34

ok, I am not sure if I understand fully. So you bake the cake, let it cool, level and torte. Ok, so my question is that I am not understanding the parchment between layers after torting. Would that not affect the torte? Sorry if this is a silly question, I just don't understand why we torte if we put parchment in between and the have to take apart to remove parchement. I must be missing something. Can someone fill me in please?

Janice

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:01pm
post #14 of 34

I freeze my cakes too~ Always have, they always turn out delicious & seem moister! icon_smile.gif I baked several mini ball cakes before Christmas. My intentions were to make Christmas ornaments with them, well I never had time. I froze them. Last weekend I took one out to taste just to see... it was delicious! As long as they are wrapped tightly they are fine. I wrap my cakes in plastic wrap & sometimes tinfoil but not all the time do I use tinfoil. The smaller cakes like 10" & down I put in a ziplock bag after I wrap in plastic. That's how I did the mini balls. They taste just like they were baked that day~ To thaw I lay the cakes out the night before I decorate, just gets me a heads up on the next day~

As far as fondant goes.. I make my mmf & it is good for a long, long time (approx 4 months). As long as it's not moldy (chocolate will mold, don't know why but it will), hard as a rock & tastes good it's fine icon_smile.gif Here's how I store my mmf. I roll it into a ball. I smooth crisco all over it. I wrap in plastic wrap. Then I wrap with tinfoil. Then I put it in a ziploc bag & put it in icecream bucket & store in my pantry. Works perfect~

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 34

I freeze all my cakes due to having 2 jobs as well, and I am one of those who thinks it turns out better.

My Wilton instructor taught us to freeze in heavy duty foil right from the oven, but it doesn't seem to hold its shape as well.
I now usually wait until cooled to freeze, but in a time crunch I've had to freeze while still very warm and there was a little frozen ice on the cake but it never got soggy, the condensation went into the icing. Most of the cakes I make are for friends whose functions I attend so I get to taste my cakes and know firsthand.

I even crumb coat or ice frozen (easier to ice as well) but wait until thawed to decorate. The icing locks in the moisture and any condensation gets reabsorbed into the icing, but colored decorations may bleed so I wait on decorating (learned the hard way).

Other than that, I agree with everybody above. You know, I actually made and iced a cake in one day without freezing, and it wasn't as moist!

sugarMomma Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:35pm
post #16 of 34

By the way, do you mind sharing your modified recipe? I also use an extra egg and pudding mix but the buttermilk sounds interesting. And I have some I need to use up, but it's fat free--will that matter?

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #17 of 34

I use parchment in between so the layers don't stick to each other. There isn't any icing at that point, so I'm not sure why it would cause problems. I remove the parchment as I settle each layer into place.

vdrsolo Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:23pm
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

By the way, do you mind sharing your modified recipe? I also use an extra egg and pudding mix but the buttermilk sounds interesting. And I have some I need to use up, but it's fat free--will that matter?

I have never tried the fat free, so can't help you on that!

I normally add half buttermilk/half water. I have tried using all buttermilk before but it makes the cake too moist where just doesn't cook right.

But normally, instead of buying buttermilk, I use the buttermilk powder. I add the normal water, plus 3T of buttermilk powder per mix. I hated having extra buttermilk left over and it tastes the same to me.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

My layers will vary in size from 6 to 15 so I plan on double wrapping with the extra wide plastic wrap and then foil, and then of course writing on the outside which cake is for which wedding!!

My freezer will be delivered this afternoon....I am so excited!!

Mine will be delivered on Saturday...I am so excited too...I can't wait!
I just bought mine at Best Buy on sale for $534.23 including delivery, I don't know the exact dimensions but is huge!

I looked like a complete dork taking pictures at BB, but I had to share this with you CCers!!!
LL
LL

sugarMomma Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm
post #20 of 34

Back to your recipe, mine calls for 1 1/4 c. water and 1/2 cup oil along with eggs and pudding. So I just sub out half the water for buttermilk and the oil stays the same?

Sorry, I'm not good at baking chemistry.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcook1670

Yes there should be no problem wit freezing the cakes, I generally freeze all mine, because work 2 jobs and have very little time to work on them. When I do my cakes after they come out of the oven I let it cool in the pan for a few mins, then turn it out onto a cooling rack and let it cool completely. Then I would wrap it . If you want to torte them freeze if for about a hour them torte them, put parchment or wax paper in between and then wrap and put in freezer. Once you pull them out to decorate I would let them thaw a little before decorating. I brush almy cakes with simple syrup, just tomake sure that they are moist, I might work on a cake for 3 days and don't want it to taste dry. I've never had a problem wit a bubble. If you going t refreeze the ake after frosting, I wold let it come back to room temp before applying fondant or it won't stick. Good luck, wish I was super busy making cakes next month icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry to jump in here but i have a wedding this Saturday and a friend is doing her daughters wedding cake and im doing the Grooms cake the Wedding isnt until 5.00 with pic to be taken afterwards, so she is going to sit the cake up at 9.00 am All BC except the flowers between the layers , will this cake be dryed out?? i have never set one up this soon and i concerend also does the simple syrup make it to moist if the cake has been frozen , the reason is im thinking of taking my grooms cake out Wed torting(i know should have torted before freezing oh well im learning) and filling letting them set until Thursday when i will crumb coat then i will icing Friday is this to long for the cake to set out should i take out on Thursday and torte and fill??? Help Thanks so much

vdrsolo Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

Back to your recipe, mine calls for 1 1/4 c. water and 1/2 cup oil along with eggs and pudding. So I just sub out half the water for buttermilk and the oil stays the same?

Sorry, I'm not good at baking chemistry.

It doesn't have to be exactly half....for that amount I've done 3/4 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup water, oil is the same.

Or I just add the 1 1/4 cups of water and just toss in 3T of buttermilk powder (this is my preferred method....)

vdrsolo Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:59pm
post #23 of 34

Cakebaker - your cake will be fine sitting out, I finish my wedding cakes on Friday night, and they they sit all night stacked and ready to go uncovered, even for Saturday evening weddings.

I would personally wait until Thursday morning to take it out...sounds like it doesn't take long to thaw out.

cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:02pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:

Cakebaker - your cake will be fine sitting out, I finish my wedding cakes on Friday night, and they they sit all night stacked and ready to go uncovered, even for Saturday evening weddings.

I would personally wait until Thursday morning to take it out...sounds like it doesn't take long to thaw out.

Do you use BC or Fondant ?? i am using BC for all cakes Thanks oh do you do the simple syrup ??

tabitwhe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabitwhe Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:15am
post #25 of 34

I am so new to cake decorating so thanks to the one who started this post icon_smile.gif I was coming here to ask about freezing but thought I would do a search first.

I do have one question, what is torteing the cake?

vdrsolo Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:23am
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Do you use BC or Fondant ?? i am using BC for all cakes Thanks oh do you do the simple syrup ??

About half and half, some are buttercream, some are fondant. I don't use simple syrup.

When I fill the layers on Thursday, I also put a crumb coat on the entire cake before I let the cake settle overnight, so this seals it as well.

vdrsolo Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:28am
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitwhe

I am so new to cake decorating so thanks to the one who started this post icon_smile.gif I was coming here to ask about freezing but thought I would do a search first.

Slicing the cake in half lengthwise.

For example, I bake (2) 2" layers, I level them, then torte them. So then I have 4 layers of cake, with filling in between, plus the icing on top.

I use alot of the sleeved fillings, and I like to put 3 thin layers of filling in instead of one thicker layer of filling. I feel like a thicker layer of filling can be too "slippy", but that's just me. I also like the way the cake is served on the plate, I think it looks prettier, plus the bride can choose three different fillings for one cake if she wants to. It's all a matter of personal preference.

tabitwhe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabitwhe Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:30am
post #28 of 34
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitwhe

Slicing the cake in half lengthwise.

For example, I bake (2) 2" layers, I level them, then torte them. So then I have 4 layers of cake, with filling in between, plus the icing on top.

I use alot of the sleeved fillings, and I like to put 3 thin layers of filling in instead of one thicker layer of filling. I feel like a thicker layer of filling can be too "slippy", but that's just me. I also like the way the cake is served on the plate, I think it looks prettier, plus the bride can choose three different fillings for one cake if she wants to. It's all a matter of personal preference.

OHHH ok! Thanks

I won't be doing nay wedding cakes anytime soon. Just my kids Bday cakes and other families. I love baking though!

cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:40am
post #29 of 34
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

About half and half, some are buttercream, some are fondant. I don't use simple syrup.

When I fill the layers on Thursday, I also put a crumb coat on the entire cake before I let the cake settle overnight, so this seals it as well.

Thanks i was wondering if the simple syrup may make the cake to moist since it has been in the freezer Do you serve your cakes? i was wondering how the BC icing is i mean is it really crusted or what?? Im worring for nothing i think Oh well its my friends daughters wedding and this is what she came up with to set it out at 9.00am

vdrsolo Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:55am
post #30 of 34
Quote:

Thanks i was wondering if the simple syrup may make the cake to moist since it has been in the freezer Do you serve your cakes? i was wondering how the BC icing is i mean is it really crusted or what?? Im worring for nothing i think Oh well its my friends daughters wedding and this is what she came up with to set it out at 9.00am

I never need or use simple syrup...so can't help you out...mine are already very moist.

I don't serve my cakes, my buttercream is a lighly crusting buttercream, just enough to be able to viva it or use impression mats.

You will be fine!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%