Tutorial?

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 11:56pm by CakeInfatuation

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:43am
post #1 of 49

I am making a 60th Birthday Swimming Pool Cake for my mom. I have plenty of ideas for the cake itself but want to add some figures to the pool so it looks like they are partying and swimming. Anyway... I've tried polymer clay people figurines in the past and they were only adequate. I was hoping someone knows of a figure sculpting tutorial online or a really good resource that would help me with the step by step to really liven up the cake.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE aine's (sp?) figures but won't be headed out of the states for a class. ha ha

I'm open for suggestions of books, video's, or online tutorials.

Thanks so much!!!

48 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:47am
post #2 of 49

I know that aine has some tutorials for sale on her website that are very specific and step by step, so they will look like hers.

I don't really know of any others off the top of my head.

Here is her website:
http://extra-icing.blogspot.com/

CakeInfatuation Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:19am
post #3 of 49

Thanks for that link. It was soooo helpful. I watched every free video she had available, went to Youtube and watched more. The slide show on the faces was super helpful as was the video on hands. I got to work right away and this is what I have so far. I'm thrilled with the results so far. Although I'm having a terrible time waiting for the glue to dry and my figures to be stable.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:25am
post #4 of 49

TOO COOL LIKE THE HAIR ON THE CHEST.GREAT JOB..

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:29am
post #5 of 49

Shill, you really have a knack for those figures! Wow! I was replying to your post and was going to tell you about aine2's site and tutorials, but of course, I'm too late, but what a pleasant surprise to see that you not only found out about them, but took to them so well!

Your figures look amazing!

P.S. Just had to add: for some reason my two and a half year old keeps saying, "That's Santa Claus! Mommy, that's Santa Claus!" and pointing to the figure of the man. lol Don't know when she saw Santa younger, beardless and with an open shirt (and propped up on a bottle), but that's what she's doing! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:31am
post #6 of 49

great job. this is the next thing I'm planning on learning.

CakeInfatuation Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #7 of 49

Grace that is too funny! I just realized too that my Dad (that's who the guy is) isn't wearing any glasses. So... my husband is going to grab me some wire tomorrow so I can try to shape some. Can't wait to put him in swim trunks and see how the "finished" man looks instead of one propped on a bottle.

I wanted to do more detail to the bikini suit too but the glue on the legs just won't dry. I'm hoping by tomorrow morning it will be so I can move it around a little.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:15am
post #8 of 49

Is it humid where you are? That might be why the glue is taking long to dry. Or maybe you just used a little much.

Good luck with the wire. Can't wait to see the final 'man'.

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:39am
post #9 of 49

Thanks for the link, I have never seen it before anywhere! She sure does beautiful work!! If only I could do work half as good as her, oh well only practice can make me better maybe one day. Oh to dream!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:49am
post #10 of 49

Shill -

Do you know that Lorraine (aine2) is coming to the States? She will be teaching a few days of classes in TX.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CakeInfatuation Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:27am
post #11 of 49

That's awesome that she'll be here. I don't think I'm ready to take classes from her yet though. I only started taking cake decorating classes in March and I don't know enough yet to justify the expense. Not to mention the fact that I only do these for gifts and I don't get paid for my cakes so it would be a bit extreme.

One day maybe. I've got lofty dreams of having a cake shop now that I've gotten into this. I just LOVE it!

Thanks for the info though. I can certainly dream. icon_smile.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 49

Shill, I am so glad to see the site helped. The figures look GREAT!! Congratulations

Amber

CakeInfatuation Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 49

He still needs glasses but other than that, he's ready for his pool side chair. icon_smile.gif

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:43am
post #14 of 49

Wonderful Job Shill icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

desertm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desertm Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:15am
post #15 of 49

Shill you did a wonderful job! There is so much detail in the male figure - well done!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:07am
post #16 of 49

OMG! that's so awesome! you certainly have a knack for it. i can;t even make a decent rose LOL

good job!

cakenewbiekgm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbiekgm Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:54pm
post #17 of 49

Shill you just started taking cake decorating classes? WOW! Those figures look AWESOME!! Does anyone know where aine2 is teaching classes in TX? Is it posted on her site? I'll have to go take a look! thumbs_up.gif

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:10pm
post #18 of 49

shill,
You did an excellent job! Wow! I love the details on the man.

Where are you? I just noticed you're in southeastern PA. I'm in Lancaster.

~Jen

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:36pm
post #19 of 49

Great job-the camera and everything!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:43pm
post #20 of 49

Awesome job, I love them!!!!!

CakeInfatuation Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:13pm
post #21 of 49

Hey Jen,
I'm about 20 minutes outside of Philadelphia. You aren't too far. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the comments guys. I did scratch the figure of my mom. The more I liked my Dad's figure, the less I liked hers. So I started over. I'll post pics of her when I get it done. I have to say that it is time consuming.

CakeInfatuation Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:14am
post #22 of 49

Here is the completed figure of my mom. All in all I'm okay with it. But I had to mold her legs around wire so she'd be supported on the cake and not go head first into the swimming pool. I just couldn't get rid of the creases that I kept getting from trying to mold around something. If anyone knows how to do that, PLEASE let me know!
LL

CakeInfatuation Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:18am
post #23 of 49

oh yea... and I finally got the glasses on my dad!
LL

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:43am
post #24 of 49

Shill, those figures are just amazing! Incredible job! I'm so jealous--I've been having a heck of a time getting my people to look like people and not aliens... icon_confused.gif I wish Aine2 would come to New York!!

Anyway, I can't wait to see your finished cake!!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:56am
post #25 of 49

Hi Shill, your figures are FANTASTIC! You really have done a great job. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Well Done! thumbs_up.gif

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #26 of 49

These came out great! Awesome job! What do you use as the glue??

CakeInfatuation Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:04pm
post #27 of 49

I used a mix of fondant and gum paste (both Wilton because that's all I've tried so far) and then I used some gum paste mixed with water to make glue.

I had to do these guys in stages as I had to wait for them to dry before I could add the next thing. It took about a week to do my mom. My dad was a little easier because he is sitting and he doesn't have hair. (gotta love bald guys)

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:13pm
post #28 of 49

Shill, you can make your own glue ( edible sugar glue). Here is aine2's "How to make sugare glue" from her blog.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g_1vtYY-wFQ

You don't have to use lots of this, just a little bit would do.

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:42pm
post #29 of 49

These are too cute! Being a beginner myself, you are an inpiration to me! I can't wait to see the finished cake and hear about your parents reaction!

Great work!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:54pm
post #30 of 49

Oh, Gosh, Shill, when I saw the first pic of the Dad, he looked just like Duff to me! Great job on the figures!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%