Glue For 3D Characters

Decorating By nanascakes Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm by BlakesCakes

nanascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanascakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:59am
post #1 of 5

I don't have time to order anything and I don't have any cake decorating stores nearby. That being said, what would be the best glue to hold 3D pieces together. I am making monkeys so there will be several pieces. I don't really want to use raw egg white since there will be several young children at the party and a monkey might get "sampled". Thanks!

4 replies
cakeflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:13am
post #2 of 5

if the pieces are small enough you could use a bit of hard alcohol ie, whiskey, rum etc... to dab on the pieces and that will usually hold them. Just make sure they have a temporary support if needed, until they set. You could also try lemon flavoring, it has a lot of alcohol in it. I've also mixed a small bit of fondant in with the alcohol to make a thick paste and then used that. Hope this helps.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:46am
post #3 of 5

a little bit of tylose and warm water mixed together makes a good glue. Check out aine2 on youtube for exact amounts!

nanascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanascakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for these replys. Unfortunately I waited too long to order tylose which is what I should have done. The alcohol mixed with a little fondant seems like a good idea. The glue should dry fast using alcohol and help avoid pieces sliding/falling off. I plan to use toothpicks for support where possible too. Thanks again!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 5

I take hard, leftover pieces of fondant and/or gum paste and put them in hot water just enough to cover them. I stir until they are somewhat dissolved and then just leave them in the bottom of the cup. I find that this is a cheap, quick, easy glue for fondant or gum paste figures.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%