Church Cake That Went From Hell To Heaven (Long)

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 24 May 2009 , 1:33pm by gscout73

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 11

I just had to post this story from what I like to call my Saturday from "hell". I've know for several weeks that I had to make a cake for a farewell party for our Parish Priest (being deployed to Iraq war for 4 months) So I baked the cakes on Friday evening and planned to decorate them on Saturday. Well in the meantime my DH decided that we were going to brand calves on Sat. morning, which meant I would have to pack coolers with drinks and a lunch and also help at the branding-which would majorly cut into decorating time. So we branded and I came home and got to work. I mixed a double batch of Sugarshack frosting-thinking this would frost a double layer 12X18X3 cake. First mistake. I filled and stacked the 2 cakes and got to work frosting. I didn't even get 2 sides of the cake done before running out. So I hurried as fast as I could and mixed another, well by the time I was done mixing the 2 sides were tooo crusted to do much with. Meanwhile my 6 kids were destroying the house and guess what, my husband decided to stop off at the bar for a beer icon_mad.gif I started frosting the last 2 sides of the cake and viva method of smoothing-which did work fab. By the time I finished the bottom of the cake I was in near tears because the cake wasn't as smooth as I wanted there was cake showing through because I'm not very good with the bench scraper yet and time was spinning by. I covered the cross in fondant-which actually went really well. Next I called DH-(not dear by this time) at the bar to see if he was coming home. Well I ended up driving back into town to bring the horsetrailer of horses home-wasting more time. I finally got the cross on top of the cake, and lo and behold my 2 year old gets the stomach flu & yes the other 5 other kids are still destroying the house and hubby still not home. Finally settle baby on a pillow and blanket watching the portable DVD player and back to work. I had decided to make a fondant flag because our Priest is in Air Force Resrve. So I cut and roll the flag with turns out pretty good I thought. I flip my worthless wilton fondant mat over so the flag will "fall' onto the flag. the stripes came apart, but I was able to "glue" them back on. So I'm working away admiring my flag and started thinking why does this look so odd??? Well in my haste I forgot that if I was flipping the flag onto the cake I would have to make it backwards. By then it was tooo late as there was red and blue dye marks and I couldn't start over because it was now 9 pm. So my beautiful cake had an upside down flag, and at that moment I didn't even care! I finished the border and writing and the clock was now 10:30 pm.
Put the sick one to bed and cleaned up the kitchen and off to bed. DH still not home by the way tapedshut.gif I was actually quite happy with the way the cake turned out. I tried for 20 minutes to post the picture on here, but aparently I'm not smart enough to add an attachment-sorry. oh I guess it did post twice! sorry icon_redface.gif
LL
LL

10 replies
YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 11

I'm glad it turned out ok for you! It looks great anyway...and if I was in your position I would be planning my husbands funeral right about now!!!!!! Hope the sick one is better icon_smile.gif

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 11

Wow! I think you did a wonderful job. I would have never guessed you dealt with ALL of that extra stuff while working on this beauty!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 11

Did you know The upside down flag is an internationally recognized maritime distress signal...... seems quite appropriate for your "hellish" day! But all in all it turned out very nice and I'm sure your priest appreciated the thought and work that went into it!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:32am
post #5 of 11

What a beautiful job. thumbs_up.gif I could never work on cakes during hours anyone under 13 was awake. I always would have to bake, set to cool, make icing, set an alarm clock for 1 or 2 am and work while everyone else slept. If that were my cake it would not have been fit to take a pic. Congrats.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:21am
post #6 of 11

Congrzts on keeping your sanity. I would have been branding my DH by that point! I can't see the pic but I am sure it is beautiful!

gscout73 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:53am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vteventrider

Congrzts on keeping your sanity. I would have been branding my DH by that point! I can't see the pic but I am sure it is beautiful!

You have to go to her pic gallery to see it. thumbs_up.gif

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 11

Talk about being a multi-tasking Wonder Woman!!
Awesome job on your pastor's cake... would never have known you had such a difficult time w/ it just looking at it. Beautiful job!
Hope your little one is feeling better.
I totally understand about the house being destroyed by kiddos. Most days I just stand in the living room looking dazed at the level of destruction they can muster in a VERY short time!
Kuddos for pulling out a gorgeous cake in such a short amount of time.

Melanie Mc.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 11

Great job on the cake. I saw that cake when you first posted it. And to be honest, I didn't even notice the upside down flag. I love way it drapes. You are super woman. six kids, cake decorating and no hubby to help. I hope you gave him a piece of your mind.

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:22am
post #10 of 11

Looking through flag cakes today, came across your cake...questioned th upside down flag so I opened it. Then tracked down the story. icon_lol.gif Eh, mistake we all gotta make once. I did it with a BCT once...oops! Duh moment.
But I gotta say HAVING 6 kids is tough... baking with 6...is talent!! thumbs_up.gif
Bravo and Happy Memorial Day usaribbon.gif

gscout73 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 11

Other than the flag being upside down. the cake is beautiful. S clean and perfect. Very nice job. I'm impressed considering all you went through. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%