Anyone Have Ideas For Royal Icing Decorations??

Decorating By craftyone65 Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 9:34pm by lorijom

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 5

I've been making RI for some flowers but would love to try some other things with it. Anyone have any ideas? I would love to make a andirondack chair that I've seen on some of the beach themed cakes (especially living in Floridaicon_smile.gif but don't know where to start.

4 replies
lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 5

maybe for the chair use gumpaste or fondant? You could probably do it with RI but wouldn't be as clean cut. Good luck, hope this helped.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 5

For the adirondack chair... there might be some free patterns for one online. Probably at some place like Lowe's or Home Depot or something. I'd google it. Anyhow, print out those patterns to whatever scale you want to do the chair, and then use them as a template of sorts for your chair.

I haven't ever actually tried something like that, but if you do one piece at a time, and maybe set the finished piece on top of the 'wet' piece, so that they all dry in one piece... does that make sense? icon_razz.gif

Love to see it when you're done! icon_smile.gif

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 5

Your right lovetofrost fondant/gumpaste would be better the RI thanks. I'll google it donib and see what I find. I hate to make an entire batch of RI and not use it all so I thought since I have a fresh batch made for some flowers I need maybe others would have some additional ideas.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 5

I would definitely choose RI for something like the chair because it allows you to be very detailed with your design using scrolls and filigree. I agree that you should find a pattern but you may have to modify a bit to work in icing.

Lay waxed paper over the pattern and pipe your chair seat, the 2 sides and the back. You may want to overpipe if you want a more heavy look. Let them dry completely then construct the pieces together with more RI as glue. Try to find a pattern that allows you to pipe each side in one piece, then use the sides as your main supports for the seat and back.

Good luck with it whichever method you choose icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%