Help! Wasc Didn't Turn Out! What Did I Do Wrong?

Baking By punkiin Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 2:09pm by JudyDP

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 12

Okay! On Friday night I did everything the recipe called for and baked the cake @ 325. After about 45 minutes I started checking the cake every 5 or 10 minutes...the cake would not get done in the middle...the top ended up like a chewy brownie, but the middle tasted doughy. I was so upset, because I made 2 8" squares, 2 6" rounds, and 3 mini wonder molds. They were all like this.

So Saturday morning I started all over did the recipe exactly what it said (except a flavoring change this time). This time however I baked it at 350...and started checking the cake after about 35 minutes every so often to see if it was done. I finally had to take the cake out of the oven and flip it over in another pan for the bottom to get done, because the top was starting to get chewy again. The tops on all of them had to be cut off because they were hard. After turning the over they cake ended up getting done. What in the world am I doing wrong. I haven't had any problems with my other cakes.

By the way...they client LOVED the taste, but I did make a little alteration to the recipe the next day after tasting it on Friday night. I added 3 teaspoons of vanilla and only 1 teaspoon of almond. The almond was too over powering for me.

Any ideas and instruction would be so much appreciated...I have another cake do this Sunday that I actually have to make on Friday, because we are going to be out of town...so I don't have the time to fix any mistakes this time.

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

11 replies
punkiin Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 12

Forgot to ask this question....should I use the bake even strips with this cake?

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 12

I have not had that happen and I use this recipe all the time. The only suggestion I have is to use a flower nail in the center for heat transfer to cook the center better or use a heating core. The baking strips may help also but I don't use them. Good luck

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 12

Hmmm, that's interesting. Is your oven temp accurate? I noticed that the WASC took a bit longer to bake, but I didn't have a problem w/ it baking completely. I would suggest checking your oven temp with an oven thermometer first.

Maybe someone else has some other suggestions?

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 12

This is a dense and heavy cake. I always use baking strips, flower nails and bake at 325. Takes longer but the strips help sides and middle cook more in conjunction with the rest of the cake.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 12

Ok...I'm just taking a stab at this. Did you have all of those pans in the oven at the same time? If so, I wouldn't have opened the door until at least 50 minutes. I think you're opening the door and letting too much heat out. I NEVER open the door after 30 minutes unless I'm baking a 11" x 15" that only takes 35 minutes to bake anyway. I think with the WASC (I use this too sometimes) it is a very moist cake and definitely requires more baking time than just a plain cake mix.

Another possibility is that maybe your oven is not really baking at 325 when you set it? Have you tried a thermometer to check the temp of your oven? Bake Even strips are always a good idea from what I've heard. I never use them though. In fact, I don't even use a flower nail on any of my layers. I too bake at 325. I'm sorry I'm not much help but Good Luck and hopefully someone else might have some advice for you!

Tammi icon_smile.gif

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 12

I would check and ensure your oven temperature is accurate number one. When you check the cake after 45 min, are you opening the door and doing the toothpick test? If you do the toothpick test or open the oven door (throwing off the oven temp), that will effect the middle of the cake, but not to where it never gets done. I suggest peaking at it first through the window ... see if there's any color on the top and if the cake. If you open the door and pull the rack, watch the middle of the cake. If it moves at all, quickly, but gently, push the rack back in and close the oven. If you are adding creamer in place of some the water (sometimes I do 1/2 creamer 1/2 water for the amount of water in the recipe, that may make it take longer to cook as well. I always bake mine at 325 and never used bake even strips, but will use a flower nail on large pans. The smaller pans shouldn't require that, though.

punkiin Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for all your suggestions...it maybe the oven temp....never even thought of that. I'll have to check it.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 12

Yeah, my first question would be did you have all those pans in the oven at the same time? I use the wasc all the time, and I have noiced that if I over crowd the oven, and it takes longer to bake, and the center seems gooey.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 12

What pan's are you using? I've noticed that this recipe and wilton pans dont work. They get the outside of the cake too done, and middle goopy. It's worthy every penny for Fat Daddio, or Williams Sonoma pans. Those work so much better and bake the cake so much more evenly.

Just my thoughts, at least that is what has happened with mine.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 12

I, too, have noticed that it is not a cake upon which you can always be assured of coming out the same each time. My sister was a professional wedding cake decorator, and said the same thing. We seem to think that it was the cake mix, as all the other "variables" were the same. You cannot depend upon the flavorings, either More problems seem to happen with DH, as lately, they have not been so reliable. Apparently, they have changed something in their mix.

Things to check: ... is my temperature calibrated in my oven correctly?
... if the middle is still not getting done, then you may
want to put an icing flower nail upside down in the
middle of the batter when you put it in the oven (the
metal from the icing flower nail will heat the core of
the cake and can be removed when you remove it
from the pan
... you do not have to use those expensive wraps around
a cake.. you can wrap them with moist paper towels
inside aluminum foil made into strips. Works the
same as the expensive strips.

Personally, I would look for another cake recipe, as, in my opinion, this one has been touted to be the best, but I expect more from the best... I want to be able to depend upon it. Others do disagree with me, but I still find this particular recipe to be way too dry when DH is used as the cake mix base.

Try a cake from scratch. One you can try that has always been my white cake of choice is the Magnolia Baker white cake. Another one to try is the
one from "The Wedding Cake Book" by Dede Wilson. It always works!

It is rich and dense enough cake for tiers. The taste is fantastic!

Preheat oven to 350°-- Or you can bake it @ 300° for 15 minutes then increase oven temp to 325°.

Prepare 2 8" pans with cooking spray and parchment.

Bake about 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean -- do not over bake.

Here are the Ingredients:

8 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler, stirring frequently-- remove from heat before chocolate is completely melted; stir until chocolate is melted and smooth-- cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, sift together and set aside:
2 cups unsifted cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream:
4 ounces unsalted butter, room temp

Add, gradually and beat well until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes)...
3/4 cup sugar

Stir in:
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Add to the butter/sugar mixture (1 @ a time, beating well after each addition)
2 large eggs

Stir in the melted white chocolate until incorporated.

Then, add the milk alternately with the dry ingredients. in three separate portions:

2/3 cup whole milk (sometimes I prefer half and half or cream)

Pour into prepared pans.

Do not over bake; let cool 5 to 10 minutes in the pan and then turn out on the cooling racks.

Hope this helps! Good luck this week-end!

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 12

I don't have an answer for you, but want you to know that I baked one 12 x 2 layer with heating core and strips on side at 350. It took forever to bake! After testing (it appeared to be done) I let it sit to cool in pan, then when I turned it out...IT RAN...it was nothing but batter in one area. Needless to say, I was shocked. I got it all back in the pan and cooked it and cooked it some more. The cake turned out excellent, but I can't tell you how long I cooked it. Wish I knew the answer, also. The flavor was wonderful, but have no idea how long to cook it the next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%