Just Goes To Show You People Like What They're Used To...

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 1 May 2008 , 4:06pm by daisy114

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:07am
post #31 of 52

Toba's cost $60 a slice? Huh....I guess that comes from having to pay your people so they can pay THEIR people so they can pay THEIR people........

When eating said $60 slice of cake, I suggest you become cowlike and chew it again and again.

As far as people, yep SOME folk are not yet ready (if ever) to step outside the box. I only do my Tres Leches cake from scratch and frankly, I am trying to figure out a way out of that. I don't like scratch baking. Takes WAY too much time. and I have better things to do (like surf Cake Central!)

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:11am
post #32 of 52

I remember my x-mil making mashed potatoes for my nephew when he was a toddler, and he started to cry and said he wanted the ones from the box like mom makes. icon_smile.gif

My wedding cake was from scratch, very moist, but I didnt care much for it. The hubby and everyone else did though! All a matter of taste..

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:11am
post #33 of 52

icon_biggrin.gif Diane I agree!

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:23am
post #34 of 52

I guess Im glad that Toba can charge that for her cakes.. She is that good. But so are people on here. And always hear how cheap people are... how I couldn't charge that and what not... well maybe if we charged what we really need to then we would weed out the ones that take advantage of us so very often. Might mean less cakes yes. But.. you'd make up for that price.

I don't know what it is about scratch white cake.. I just don't care for it. Tastes kinda bland.. and always crumbly.. and yes you can soak it with simple syrup BUT...Why should you have to do that if the cake is good? Maybe for the flavor..but to make the cake less dry? Just another step I dont want.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:24am
post #35 of 52

I've been playing with both types of cakes, but can anyone recommend a good doctored cake mix book?
thanks!
terri

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:26am
post #36 of 52

The Cake Mix Doctor icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:45am
post #37 of 52

See what happens when i post and then go to bed? Who's got the recipe for mango monkey butt??!!

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:47am
post #38 of 52

mango monkey butt? Wow LOL

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:49am
post #39 of 52

I had just the opposite thing happen. We make both scratch and mix cakes at my bakery. We made a big batch of devil's food cake mix (25 lbs. worth) last weekend. My boss made the cake mix and baked the cakes, and I decorated them all. We had one person return a cake the next day (that has never happend to me before!) and said it was dry. It was just a $20 cake, so my boss reached in to his wallet and gave the guy his $20 back. The customer did say that it was decorated beautifully (whew!), but he left the cake with us and took his money. Of course, everyone at the bakery took a fork to the cake, and it was slightly on the dry side, but in my opinion not dry enough to return it! Everyone else at the bakery thought the same thing. On the other hand, we also had a customer text my boss that same day saying that she was thrilled with the cake we made her and everyone loved it. It was the same batch of devil's food cake mix!

Just goes to show you that everyone's tast is different and you can't please everyone!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:49am
post #40 of 52

I'll PM it to you icon_wink.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrig007

I've been playing with both types of cakes, but can anyone recommend a good doctored cake mix book?
thanks!
terri

Search in the recipe section of CC. White Almond Sour Cream is a favorite, the butter golden recipe that is doctored is my absolute fav!

mmmmmmmm Butter.... icon_rolleyes.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:05pm
post #42 of 52

Wgoat5, I will have to look into that one. I was using one my neighbor complied, perhaps that's the problem!
I was at a wedding in Feb and when I had the cake I knew right away it was the WASC recipe from here. icon_biggrin.gif

Crazy-4-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #43 of 52

This is too funny that this debate started last nite! Instead of surfing CC, I was testing out some scratch recipes! I wanted to be the baker that could offer scratch cakes, using "the finest ingreadients from our local farming community" but my cakes were not at all as good as my dr'd box mixes! I used Toba G's choc. cake and it was good and fudgey but once it's layered, torted and more frosting added it's toooooo much! The white mix I used was from my mom (which must be why my sister and I always wanted a b-day cake from the bakery! LOL) and this cake was heavy, dry and tasted like a BIG biscuit! I used simple syrup too. Besides all that, I priced it out and the white scratch costs me about the same as my dr'd mix and Toba's choc scratch costs me twice as much as my dr'd mix, plus extra time invested in the prep!
Oh well, like cakediva78 said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" All my customers LOVE my cake and can't believe that all I use is box mix!
BTW CakeMix Doctor is like a bible! icon_biggrin.gif
Also my DH said it felt like he had a lead brick in his stomach last nite after testing out my cake! Daughter had to eat a bite, take a break, eat a bite, take a break, and I couldn't get even 1/2 a slice down! LOL

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:50pm
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

I remember my x-mil making mashed potatoes for my nephew when he was a toddler, and he started to cry and said he wanted the ones from the box like mom makes. icon_smile.gif

My wedding cake was from scratch, very moist, but I didnt care much for it. The hubby and everyone else did though! All a matter of taste..

LOL! My nephew told his mom he wanted her to make mashed potatoes like his Nana. So she called and asked how she made hers... Yep, out of the box icon_lol.gif His mom was making good old homemade ones, but he wasn't having any of that!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:39pm
post #45 of 52

I don't like cake mixes, and at one point I tried the cake mix doctor book and threw it out after eating some of the results. Indydebi, I will bake you a scratch cake that you will like icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif !!! Anyway, it is personal taste, but I think that Mike1394 said it best in an earlier post:

Quote:
Quote:

Most people also like Wonder bread. They don't really know what a good bread is. This is the American society. We have palates of cement LOLOL. As a whole we love the gummy texture of bread, and cake mixes.

Whenever I have a European client they don't just love my cake, they're grateful that it isn't like typical American cake they get here. I don't like the texture of cake mixes, which to me is spongy and gummy, not "moist" as everyone says. That word to me means "wet," but I think that Americans are so accustomed to the gummy cake mix texture it's become synonymous with that. The texture of scratch cakes are affected by the way that they're mixed as well as by the ingredients, so part of it is technique, and part is having the right formula. I developed several of my own recipes that work really well consistently, and I never have people complain that the cake is dry or heavy.

One trick with white cake is to increase the fat to soften the texture of the cake, so either increase the butter a little or use cream or half and half instead of milk. Also, never use anything other than whole milk if the recipe calls for milk. Using a lower-fat milk will make a difference, just as will using AP flour instead of cake flour. And don't overbeat it!

This is the same argument as the sam's club icing vs. homemade icing debate, just in a different package. It will never end!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:56pm
post #46 of 52

costumeczar, I'm gonna hold you to that offer!

costumeczar Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:24pm
post #47 of 52

Indydebi--I had a client who fedexed a frozen anniversary cake to her daughter in Ohio...She said it thawed out perfectly so they could eat it once it got there. Maybe I'll try her method...How do you feel about chocolate truffle? icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:27pm
post #48 of 52

I dont' think I've ever had it .... but who EVER says no to chocolate? icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:42pm
post #49 of 52

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but...I've met a lot of freaks...uh, I mean people...who don't like chocolate just through doing cakes. I don't understand it myself. The worst would be to like chocolate but be allergic to it! I'd be covered in hives all the time.

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:33am
post #50 of 52

LMAO - I'm one of those freaks, uhm I mean people, who don't like/can't tolerate chocolate . It gives me really bad headaches. Funny, I always get that reaction. LOL

costumeczar Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:03pm
post #51 of 52

I've heard that chocolate can start migraines if you're prone to them...At least you say that you also don't like it, becasue as I said before if it was me who got headaches from it, and I liked it the way I do now, I'd be walking around with a migraine all the time! icon_lol.gif I think I need to go have some now...

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:06pm
post #52 of 52

My best friend and her daughter HATE chocolate. No, they're not allergic to it, nor does it give them migraines....and yes, I tell her all the time she's a freak! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%