How Do I Store Sugar Beer Bottles That I Just Made?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 9:04pm by imartsy

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 15

I wanted to make sure I could do it, and wanted to get a head start on this cake so I made my first sugar beer bottle.

It came out o.k., but is kinda sticky to touch so I wrapped it in parchment paper.
It is sticking to the parchment! I don't need them until Friday, but I work 2 jobs and am tied up all week. I want to make the rest of them tonight, but how do I store them?

14 replies
lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 15

I would leave it out to air dry. If animals are the issue or children. I would place it in a container with holes in the lid. It sounds to me like they have to much moisture. They will be fine if you start letting them air dry now.

Lu

sugarMomma Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 15

How do I eliminate or cut back on moisture? Or is it humidity and I'm s.o.l. icon_sad.gif

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 15

Are you making the sugar like you would for those sugar easter eggs? If you are you need to start with just drops of water. You want it to mold like sand on the beach. What are you using?

Lu

sugarMomma Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 15

I'm using the recipe from Sweet Results on a forum here which is 1/2 cup corn syrup and 1/2 cup sugar nuked at 50% power 6 min, and 2-3 @ full power thereafter until desired color. (mine went about another 2.5 min.)

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #6 of 15

I think it might be the humidity? Can you store them in an airtight container with some silica gel packs? That should help. Sugar is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture from the air.

sugarMomma Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:19am
post #7 of 15

It probably is the humidity. I don't know if I have any silica gel packs saved.

Can you buy them?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:31am
post #8 of 15

you can get them at the florist icon_smile.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 15

I got a question - I'm putting the bottles I"m trying to make on a cake that has to be refrigerated.... do you think the bottles can go on the cake and in the refrigerator? If not, how could I store them? I'm attending a wedding and these bottles are for the groom's cake.... I feel kinda scared to leave them with the reception site if they aren't on the cake, but also scared that if they are on the cake and in the fridge, they may crack or get break or something.....

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 15

According to the instructions in the beer bottle thread, your mixture is sticky because it needed to cook a bit more. Another poster in that thread stated it had to reach about 300 degrees to not be sticky and set up properly.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

imartsy Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #11 of 15

Oh the mixture isn't sticky - but it is discolored....

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 15

I have two sugar bottles that I have stored as an experiment. I am in a very humid area, and these bottles are just like new after two months. I bought Damp Rid at the hardware store and poured about 2-3 tablespoons into a small open plastic container that I placed in the corner of an air-tight plastic storage container (Tupperware, Lock & Lock,etc). The Damp Rid does not touch the sugar at all - it is in its own little pot. These bottles would have dissolved after 2 days if I had left them out.....

imartsy Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 15

do you think they would crack if they were in a fridge?

imartsy Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 15

Well I've stuck one bottle that I'm not using (a reject) in the fridge - it'll sit there a couple of hours and then I guess we'll see if it cracks or something.....

imartsy Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:04pm
post #15 of 15

Just for future reference - if you stick sugar bottles in the fridge, all that happens is they get really really sticky. But, they stayed together and were fine for the whole wedding!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%