littlecake Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 5

is this a true metallic gold?

can you use it with buttercream?

4 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 5

The gel color is not metallic at all. Kind of a sunflower yellow color. I think Americolor makes a gold airbrush color, but i don't know if that's metallic.

PME makes a spray gold that is metallic - it's the gold i used on the cake in my avatar. It's about 10.00 at most cake shops.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 5

This is what the Americolor gold looks like... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=78793

If you want more of the shiny gold look you probably want to look for luster dust (or Wilton's Gold Pearl dust). You can't mix it with buttercream but can brush it on top of it.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 5

dang it! i thought my quest for a metallic gold gel was over!

texas sugar....that is a cool cake!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #5 of 5

I didn't preview my post earlier and looks like some how part of it got cut off. I was trying to say that you can use the dust and brush it on to buttercream.

They do not make any icing color gel that you can mix with your buttercream to get the metalic look. You can put things on top of it though. I have heard you can mixed the dusts with piping gel for a pipe-able gold 'icing'.

Thanks. That is currently my least favorite cake. I just had to do it again this weekend and posted the story about it in the general section. Not a good cake weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%