I Have A Few Questions..i Need Help

Decorating By Jaremcal Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm by Jaremcal

Jaremcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaremcal Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 8

We are doing a wedding cake on June 14th. It is my best friend's sister. She just said to me about a week ago "you do realize sara is expecting you to make her wedding cake and the grooms cake" We didnt! The bride gave us a picture of what she wants. It is a simple four layer cake with scroll work and beading. I plan on buying dragess to do the beading. My questions:

1. how do dragees attach to a cake?
2. She wants gold and champagne colored scroll work... How do I make those colors?
3. She is using silk flowers for a topper and wants to just stick them in the cake..is that safe?
4. I had planned on buying the strawberry filling. It says that one pouch thing is 3 cups. How much will I need for 14, 12, 10, 8 inch layers?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME!!

7 replies
pennywells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennywells Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 8

Heres my attempt at helping you.

1)I attach the dragees with a dot of BC. I pipe a tiny dot onto the cake and push the dragee into that.
2)Gold coloring- There is a americolor food coloring called gold but if that is not enough you could paint it with gold luster dust. Same for the champagne coloring.
3)It is safe(just make sure they are clean) you could also use a floral tube stuck in the middle of the cake and then stick the stem of the flowers in that.
4) It is hard to answer that question because I don't know how thick you do your'e filling but I would say the 3 cups would fill the 10 or 12 inch(if thinner filling) easily.

I hope that helps

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 8

You might also attach them with a dot of royal, since that's probably what you'll be using to do the scrollwork. If you aren't going to do fondant (just scroll right on BC), then you can just push them in, but I don't know of any way to paint BC if you were planning that approach, and I don't think you'll get the colors you like without painting Lusterdust or Highlighter.

Jaremcal Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 8

thank you for your replies.

The cake will be covered in butter cream.

Will luster dust paint butter cream or only royal icing?

I really hate doing wedding cakes. We usually end up doing one or two a year. If it were for how good of friend she is I would not agree to do this.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 8

The Luster Dust should do just fine on butter cream..... just make sure it has set up......

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 8

Don't forget to figure out how much the cakes will cost to make and what your time is worth. She expects you to make the cakes, so she should be expecting the bill too.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 8

I'm with CeeTee. She shouldn't expect you to do it for nothing. I won't get stuck in that predicament again!
Good luck and have fun!

Jaremcal Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you. It is actually my friend who will be paying, not the bride. My husband was joking and told her it would be $1200. She had a heart attack. She really thought he was serious. I'm on the fence about how much to charge, still kind of working it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%