How Should I Make This Image?

Decorating By Cakey Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm by mindywith3boys

Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 15

Hi all,

I am trying to make this Navy Seal trident to go on top of a cake, and I was wondering what the best method would be. I have considered color flow, gum paste, and a buttercream outline filled in with stars. I have a better coloring book type image of it that's easy to outline but it's on my other computer. What do you think?
LL

14 replies
mamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 15

Try a buttercreme transfer.... I do them all the time... love em!

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 15

Id try a frozen butter cream transfer. Do you have an edible image printer? that might be an option too. Good luck

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 15

I would do a chocolate transfer, they are SO easy and the customers LOVE the fact that they are all choc.! If you need more info, please e-mail me, [email protected]

Jen icon_smile.gif

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 15

I did my first chocolate transfer the other day and it came out great.I would go with that.

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 15

A choclate transfer would be a good idea. I tried it and it wasn't that hard. Good luck!

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 15

I vote chocolate transfer too! thumbs_up.gif

~Mindy

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 15

Here's my vote for choco xfer. I've NEVER made a fbct that looked half as neat and clean as a choco xfer. Just remember to let your outlining chocolate start to firm up ever so slightly before using it. Don't use it while it's drippy or your outlines will spread.

Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks everyone. I will try a chocolate transfer. I did a FBCT once but it was so difficult for me and looked horrible anyway. I think I'll try color flow also to see which one comes out better, but I like the idea of the chocolate transfer because who wants to eat color flow? Gross. Can I paint chocolate with gold luster dust so it looks like this? This is how I want the finished product to look.
LL

DianeLM Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

Can I paint chocolate with gold Luster Dust so it looks like this?

Absolutely!! Let your finished piece come to room temp. Ideally, let it rest overnight. Brush the luster dust on dry. You can also mix luster dust with cocoa butter or confectioners glaze to make a paint, but since your item will be all one color, you don't really need to make paint.

mindywith3boys Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 15

Well, It won't be 3 dimensional like that one. It will be flat. To achieve that, you'd have to find a mold and make it either out of chocolate or fondant or gumpaste and then paint.

DianeLM Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:10pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindywith3boys

Well, It won't be 3 dimensional like that one. It will be flat. To achieve that, you'd have to find a mold and make it either out of chocolate or fondant or gumpaste and then paint.

This is an excellent point. I spoke too soon with my last post. Your item will not be all one color, since the outlines will be a contrasting color. If you brush luster dust over the whole thing, you'll lose the outlines. You may need to paint between the outlines.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:57pm
post #13 of 15

Can someone please post the instructions for a chocolate transfer?
Please...please...

mindywith3boys Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #14 of 15

If it were me, I'd make a mold. http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html

mindywith3boys Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 15

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%