How Do I Take Excessive Powder Sugar Off Rolled Fondant?

Decorating By BelleRamos Updated 28 May 2008 , 12:15am by JenniferMI

BelleRamos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BelleRamos Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:39am
post #1 of 9

How do I take off excessive powdered sugar off rolled fondant? I made black fondant but after rolling it so it wouldn't stick, it ended up w/ too much power. I tried taking it off but its still covered. I tried brushing it with a bit of water but it's too slimy now.

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:11am
post #2 of 9

I am guessing the fondant is already on the cake. Leave it alone and let it dry on the surface. You may be able to take a brush to it once it is dry.

For the future, it helps to roll fondant on a plastic mat (plastic fabric can be bought at craft/fabric stores) Then you don't have to add any powdered sugar, and the mat will help you transfer the fondant onto the cake.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:43am
post #3 of 9

JoAnnB, the plastic you mention, are you talking about the thick plastic that is used over tables to cover a tablecloth, like they use in restuarants??

I have looked at this and wondered if it would work for rolling fondant on.
It would save on the mess on one's table/countertop.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine49

JoAnnB, the plastic you mention, are you talking about the thick plastic that is used over tables to cover a tablecloth, like they use in restuarants??

I have looked at this and wondered if it would work for rolling fondant on.
It would save on the mess on one's table/countertop.

Hi Charmaine,

On the plastic, yes! It works great. You can buy it at fabic stores or my Hobby Lobby carries it. In fact the "backing" paper has pictures of covered lawn furniture, etc. Kind of reminds me of one of my old aunts... chuckle... icon_smile.gif

On the fondant, make your life easier... Just rub a little shortening on your hand and gently smooth it over the fondant and all the powder will be gone. On this cake, you may have to actually put some corn starch on it to stop the stickiness, and then do the shortening trick...

Good luck,
Pat

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 9

You can spray the cake with a very light coating of alcohaul (sp?) with your airbrush or run the cake with a VERY light coating of veg. shortening. The shiney will absorb into the cake.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 9

Also, if you have just a few spots of powdered sugar, you can use a small ball of fresh fondant as an "eraser". This works really well if you don't have problems with the whole cake. Just be very gentle so that you don't smash the fondant on the cake. icon_smile.gif

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 9

You can also use confectioners glaze apparently. Dip your brush into the glaze and gently brush over the cake. I think it leaves it looking slightly shiny though.
I've never tried this, but I read about this if you do a chocolate cake as rolling on icing (powdered) sugar will give white streaks on chocolate.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 9

I airbrush my entire cake with vodka. It also seems to brighten it.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:15am
post #9 of 9

The airbrush vodka works and also, you can rub the whole cake with a thin layer of shortning. It will absorb into the cake and take away and unwanted powder.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%